Excessive blow off of the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr08

Reaction score
Hi,

I made my yeast starter of 3944 yesterday. I made it bigger as I want to save some of them for my next brew. I blown off where most of them were yeast. I don't know if I should save some for my next batch or I have to pitch all into my next brew. Any suggestions?

Tough one to answer. What to pitch is all about cell count, which is sounds like you now lost your cell count assuming you were using starter calculators. That yeast is a top cropping yeast, and Wyeast recommends 33% headspace, so you may have blown off a good bit of yeast. What makes this trickier is that you want phenols and esters from this yeast, and you may get less of this if you over-pitch. I guess if I were in your shoes I would gamble with pitching it all and see how it goes, or maybe just make another starter.

As for saving some for another brew, you might find it easier to use the yeast left over from this batch you are making rather than making bigger starters.

Back