Evil Twin Citra Sunshine Slacker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftfan

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a good recipe for a session IPA after trying one of these a few weeks ago. After working with a few other recipes, I decided to email Evil Twin and see if they would be willing to share. Lo and behold, he responded within the hour with the following email.

Thanks for the kind words Corey!

Something like this:

75.1%
Malt, Pilsner Malt
12.8%
Malt, Wheat Malt
7.7%
Malt, Rye Malt
4.4%
Malt, Flaked Oats

And obviously all citra hops!

Jeppe

Evil Twin Brewing

I want to try a test batch of this and am trying to get the hop additions somewhere close. My question is about AA utilization on late addition hops. I used the IBU calculator at brewers friend to come up with the following recipe. They don't list their IBU on the website or the can, but I am guessing it is somewhere around 50. My thought process is that if I can obtain the proper IBU from all late additions, there would be no need for FWH. In addition, I would gain the flavor benefits that late additions provide. My first attempt at the recipe for a 2 gallon batch.

Batch Name:Citra sunshine slacker
Brewed By:Me
Style:American IPA
Batch Size:2.00 gal
Boil Time:60 min
Initial Boil Volume:3.0 gal
Mash Method:All Grain

Typical Style Characteristics
Style:American IPA

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.047 (75% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.013 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
ABV4.5%
IBU49.1
SRM3.6°L

Malt Bill
Pilsner– 1.6°L2.62 lbs
Wheat Malt, White 0.50 lbs
Rye Malt 0.25 lbs
Oats, Flaked0.15 lbs

Mash Rest Profile
RestTemperatureTimeTypeDetails
Saccharification (Medium Body)152°F60 min

Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Citra20 min0.25 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Citra15 min0.25 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Citra10 min0.25 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Citra0 min0.75 oz12.5%Pellet Hop (steep 30 min)
Citra (dry hop)5 days0.75 oz12.5%Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
Safale US-05 Fermentis Dry Ale

If someone with more experience in this subject could weigh in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Just saw this post. I emailed Jeppe about the same recipe a while back. He replied with the same grain bill and also said the beer is "20 IBU, most late and dry". He also said use 1056. Pretty cool brewer to respond for sure! I hope to brew a batch once it gets warmer out.

Latest posts

Back