• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Everything must go... (Indianapolis, IN)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I have basically become fed up with the hobby. It seems like I cant catch onto the secrets of making things right. I have tried numerous times, read the books, studied the internet, and asked questions on this site. Despite following the advice, my beer still comes out over carbonated, under flavored, and sometimes all-out bad. As I do not have the money to keep buying supplies to keep trying, its best if I just jump ship now before I get in over my head.

That being said, here is what I have to offer:

2x 6.5 Gallon Class Carboys with Airlocks and Bungs
1x Auto Syphon 1/2" with appropriate tubing and bottling wand
1x Carboy Brush
3/4 of a bottle of Iodine Sanitizer (The BIG bottle)
1x 24 quart Stainless Steel brew pot
6 dozen 12 ounce glass bottles
2 dozen 22 ounce glass bottles
3 dozen 750 ml Clear wine bottles (cork topped)
About 10 dozen Crown Caps
A corker and a capper that work with both sets of bottles above
2x relatively fresh Brewer's Best Kits

All and All, I would say this equates to about $350 worth of materials. Nominally, I would want to recover half of that ($175 - $200). Considering the sheer weight of this all, I would have to arrange for Local Pick Up. Shipping this stuff would cost a ton. Let me know.

If you are done with it, then you are done with it. However if there is a part of you that still would like to make beer, why not see if you can find someone from the site here, or from a local brew club to come over and brew on your system with you. There might just be one small step you've not got quite right that would put you over the top.

+1 with Zen_Brew.
Something in your process is not right or you aren't waiting long enough for the brews you are making.
I see in your sig you like to push the style envelope.
Some of these brews will take many months to develop.

Maybe do 10 or so "standard" ales and stouts to get your process down.

Marc,

Don't give up. Like the other guys said, get someone else involved. If the timing is right, that someone could be me. I'm in Bloomington. Don't let the post or join count fool you, I've been brewing for several years, and have got my process pretty down, but it took me a while to get there.

Where are you getting your stuff from? If you say anywhere but Great Fermentations, then there's one thing you should change. Have you contacted one the homebrew clubs? Foam Blowers of Indianapolis (FBI) site: http://www.foamblowers.com/ about getting together for advice. Or MECA? (They don't really have a website, but I could put you in touch with some of the members.

And like everyone said, give some of them time. I found that at least 6 weeks in the bottle made most of mine better. I did a Maple IPA one time, hated it, and gave almost all of it away. Six months later one of my friends was raving about it. I went back to try one of my 6 bottles left, and it was great, and I was pissed for giving it all away.

Let me know if you want some brew company, and we can try to work something out.

So, I have basically become fed up with the hobby. It seems like I cant catch onto the secrets of making things right. I have tried numerous times, read the books, studied the internet, and asked questions on this site. Despite following the advice, my beer still comes out over carbonated, under flavored, and sometimes all-out bad. As I do not have the money to keep buying supplies to keep trying, its best if I just jump ship now before I get in over my head.

1x Carboy Brush

All and All, I would say this equates to about $350 worth of materials. Nominally, I would want to recover half of that ($175 - $200). Considering the sheer weight of this all, I would have to arrange for Local Pick Up. Shipping this stuff would cost a ton. Let me know.

dude, go spend some time with anita at great fermentations.... don't give up yet.

1x Carboy Brush

Dude if you want to keep brewing, I live in Indy... I am just finishing up a SS Brutus 20 and it has some pretty fantastic gadgets on it. Id be more than happy to have you over when it is complete to brew and share some beers.

I have a bunch of bulk malts, hops... etc... we could brew up a 10 gallon batch on my new rig and split it and boost your confidence!

I have been pretty involved in brewing, brewing sciences, techniques and equipment design/building. Id love to help, if I can... PM me if you want.

i live in greenwood. i have an all grain set up, and a bar with five taps. come over, hang out, drink some homebrews with me, and we'll brew a batch together. don't give up. it's not rocket science, but it IS science. it's a blast, and if you truly enjoy beer, and the process of brewing, but are just unsatisfied with your results, DON'T sell. pm me, i can brew as early as this weekend if you're available.

What a cool brotherhood.........this poor soul is ready to give up on the coolest hobby in the whole world.

HBT members come out of the woodwork to keep him in the saddle. Is this love, or what?

Yes, don't sell! Give it a little time. I don't brew beer myself as I like cider and brewing seems a bit complicated to me. As was said in an earlier post you may just be missing a small step. Not trying to divert you from beer but why not try making a cider. Its really a very simple process but can get a bit crazy as you start experimenting. Brewing/crafting a succesfull gallon might get you back on track. Don't give up!

Mcduff

this site is awesome! 5-6 strangers ready to spend a weekend helping someone the have never met. this shows the goodness of brewers and the beauty and power of BEER!

+1 on trying some simpler brews.

I had a pretty rough start in my endeavors. I tried to start big, making my own recipes and modifying ones i found. They all turned out pretty bad. After I started brewing some simpler ones following the recipes to a "t" they got a lot better. Looking back with the knowledge i have I would have never tried the things i did early on. Try to get the basics down before you try to get creative, it will definitely pay off.

So??
What's the verdict MarcJ?
We'd love to see you give it another go!

it's a great thing to have a club backing you up not to mention the
Brewing community as well. I live 3hrs North. but Great Fermintations
has a new brew on Premis thing going on.
I don't think any of us are going to make an offer to buy stuff until you give it
a go one more time. Keep it simple and basic once you've got that basic part
down. then jump off road and go for the Big Brews.
good Luck.:mug:

Back