Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's nothing on the yeast packets, but there is a specific yeast written out for each recipe in the book. Of course, this varies by recipe.

BBS was my first brew, ever. I wanted to skip extract altogether in the beginning. I did the Chocolate Maple Porter. It's pretty roasty. I boiled off too much wort and had to add almost six cups of water to the fermenter. The porter flavor was incredibly strong, and of the porters I've had, it was most similar to Kona Coffee Porter. Any ideas as to why the porter flavor was so strong?

Recently, I brewed the Honey Grapefruit Ale. So far it has been a disaster. The grapefruit flavor isn't there, but the bitterness is. After two weeks in, I bottled. I sucked up too much yeast at the end of the siphoning, which really seems to have clouded up the beer. I tried one last night, warm, after only 1 week of bottle conditioning - and the result was volcanic. I tried a bit of what was left and it was one of the worst beers I've ever had. At some point I think something went wrong in the process. I'll age the other bottles a bit more and repost what happens.

A friend also brewed their Mexican hot Chocolate Stout. I didn't observe his process so who knows what happened along the way, but it tasted like...nothing. Stout water, maybe.

One constant I've seen with Brooklyn Brew Shop recipes is that almost every one results in overcarbonation. Fridge resting seems to help, though.

There isn't a lot of the grapefruit flavor. It's kind of a subtle hint in the aroma and that's all. I just had one last night that I brewed in the fall. It has very little grapefruit anything, but still the solid bitterness from it.

It might be just warm, flat, under-conditioned beer. Was it sour?

I made a stout recently (not BBS), and it also ended up pretty bland. I have had better luck with a different recipe, but this one was a basic stout. It might get better with age, but I was surprised that it was so bland.

Just wanted to let my fellow BBS brewers know my IPA came out delicious. Foamed up a bit due to only being chilled for 3 hours but the rest is chilling in preparation for this weekend. So thanks a bunch dudes!

Hey guys, Brewed BBS oatmeal stout. Added raisins, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla extract. It was fantastic, shared it with some family and (local pompano bch HB club) and some personal friends, they liked it. I love this obsession (hobby)?

Smoke signals

There's nothing on the yeast packets, but there is a specific yeast written out for each recipe in the book. Of course, this varies by recipe.

/QUOTE]

This recipe wasn't in the book, i believe. I'm guessing it'll be in the new book unkyjack mentioned.

Well, my Bruxelles Blonde has been in the bottles for just over 2 weeks. Gonna crack one open tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

/QUOTE]

This recipe wasn't in the book, i believe. I'm guessing it'll be in the new book unkyjack mentioned.

Well, my Bruxelles Blonde has been in the bottles for just over 2 weeks. Gonna crack one open tonight!

Let it chill a day or two if you can!

Well Donniej, how was it?

Smoke signals

It was great! I had it in the fridge for a few days and the carbonation was perfect. I don't know why, but I was surprised that it was just like real store-bought beer.

The yeast deposit was easily disturbed, but I like yeasty beers. The first half came out quite clear, but overall it was about as cloudy as your average Hefeweizen.

Very pleased!

Got some Smoked Wheat that I bottled yesterday, and the taste of the leftover was pretty dang good. This is my first brew, so I'm excited about it.

I've been thinking about starting to brew for a while, and the 1 gallon size of the BBS kit made for a small investment to get my toes wet.

The chocolate maple porter. Sat on trub for 21 days, bottled with 2.5 TBLSP of honey, bottle conditioned for 14 days, with 2 days in the fridge...amazing brew. Doing a big batch of this sometime soon.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

1393563660314.jpg

The chocolate maple porter. Sat on trub for 21 days, bottled with 2.5 TBLSP of honey, bottle conditioned for 14 days, with 2 days in the fridge...amazing brew. Doing a big batch of this sometime soon.

That is the exact timing and amount of honey I used for my batch. Worked great! That porter sounds good .

Yeah its pretty tasty, def gonna be a winter favorite

Great beer. Only did it once.

Has anyone done the coffe n doughnuts beer they have?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yesterday, I made the Tea & Toast from the book. I made two small changes. I used Willamette for bittering because I have a lot of it. And I used S-04, because I don't trust S-33.

It took off almost immediately, and it's at 62 degrees right now. When it slows down (couple days), I will turn the heat up and let it go around 64-66 for the rest if the time.

I've always been curious to see how that taste. Let us know

I don't know if the tea will really come through. If not, then I might try again and "dry hop" with the tea.

Maybe adding a cup of tea at bottling would also work.

I have a question about the sparging. The instructions (and every video online) say to recirculate the wort through the grains again. I understand pouring the sparge water as evenly as possible over the grains in the strainer; however, what exactly does it mean to "recirculate"? After the sparge water is completely poured in, do I take the strainer off the pot and move it to a different empty pot and then pour the wort through the strainer again? If so, should I save some of the sparge water to pour on the wort after this last step?

Thanks!

The sparging is meant to rinse the grain of any remaining sugars. Its easier if you use a 2nd pot, but yeah, they want you to recycle the collected wort through the grains again to extract more sugars from the grain.

I have a question about the sparging. The instructions (and every video online) say to recirculate the wort through the grains again. I understand pouring the sparge water as evenly as possible over the grains in the strainer; however, what exactly does it mean to "recirculate"? After the sparge water is completely poured in, do I take the strainer off the pot and move it to a different empty pot and then pour the wort through the strainer again? If so, should I save some of the sparge water to pour on the wort after this last step?

Thanks!

That is what they want you to do. I actually use a bag, so I dunk sparge in the amount of water they say, basically whatever it takes to get the pre-boil volume to about 1.5 gallons. I might get better efficiency if I did it the way they say.

I just bought a BBS kit and made it up on Saturday....excited to see how it turns out. I did the Grapefruit Honey Ale, but with no grapefruit peels. Fermentation started about 7 hours after hitting the carboy and progressed well. I put the airlock on this morning after 3+ days with the blow off tube. There is very little activity at this point.

Right now, I'm in the (typical, I imagine) wildly paranoid phase where every little change surely indicates failure. Hopefully, it will be at least somewhat drinkable in a few weeks. I can't wait to start experimenting with different recipes to see what kind of fun I can get into...

I'm getting ready to brew the BBQ BBS recipe tonight, it's a smoke beer :). I'll let ya know how it turns out in a few weeks. The recipe book they have is A +

About the sparging, any one recirculate the wort more than once? I've recirculated it about 3 times...any advantages or disadvantages to that?

About the sparging, any one recirculate the wort more than once? I've recirculated it about 3 times...any advantages or disadvantages to that?

I do. I mash in a pot but pour it through a strainer with a paint bag. I go back and forth 3 to 4 times. Mainly to get all the grains out of my mash pot but I did jump to 70-75% efficiency when I did so i stick with it.

Has anyone brewed BBS Warrior double IPA? I've had it in the primary for 2 weeks now and took a gravity reading of 1.032. Not sure if I should try to rouse the yeast or let out go on its own for another 5 days or so.
OG was 1.055 and fermentation temp had been hanging around 64.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd let it sit at least two more weeks. I love BBS but I think their schedule is off. It works, but I think was made that to look that way to be more appealing to new customers.

I feel it's harder, but safer and more tasty to wait a bit, especially with an imperial.

Has anyone brewed BBS Warrior double IPA? I've had it in the primary for 2 weeks now and took a gravity reading of 1.032. Not sure if I should try to rouse the yeast or let out go on its own for another 5 days or so.
OG was 1.055 and fermentation temp had been hanging around 64.

Well I'm guessing its a cleaner ale yeast your using and that is not where it should be by now...rouse it, raise temp, get those bad boys moving again!

When I emailed BBS and asked what yeast was in the kit they responded with "basic dry ale yeast".
I raised the temp last night and roused the yeast this morning. I was shooting to get temp in low 70s, but looks like it went up to high 70s. Working on getting temp down to low 70s and hopefully I'll get those little buggers moving. I'll take another reading on Saturday and see how they're doing.

I'm brewing a cream ale recipe with the BBS method (only one gal method I know up to now). Used .75 lbs pilsner, .75 lbs 2row, .5lbs flaked corn, Willamette and amarillo hops, mashed @150F,sparge 170F, yeast was liquid cream ale. Let's see how it ends up, I'm curious... If it comes out good I try it biab.

Just ordered the ingredients to make a 2 gallon batch of the Blackberry Red Ale from the BBS book. I can't wait to brew this one and get it ready for summer!!!!

After that it will probably be the Peach Cobbler Ale...

When you make it, try adding some fruit a few days after fermentation . I couldn't tell fruit was added when I made mine. Maybe if it's added lager, it will shine through more?

When you make it, try adding some fruit a few days after fermentation . I couldn't tell fruit was added when I made mine. Maybe if it's added lager, it will shine through more?

That was already my idea.. I'm going to do all the fruit after letting it ferment for a week or two.... I've been studying up on what others do... then I'm going to sanitize the fruit and a nylon bag and throw it in the primary to finish up for the last week or two..

My ingredients show up tomorrow, but the fermenter I want to use for this is holding another beer for two more weeks... so it will probably be the second week of April before I brew... plenty of time to prepare!

I bottled the BBQ beer today and sampled a small bit from the fermenter, it tasted great,such a nice smokey flavor! Can't wait to try it after its carbed up!

Is anyone part of their beer club? It's like 90 a year but you get three of their season appropriate beers each season.

Any one mash in the oven? After adding your strike water to the mashing pot place the pot in the oven at low temp, or with the oven off after being on low temp to keep the temp of the mash more stable?

Is anyone part of their beer club? It's like 90 a year but you get three of their season appropriate beers each season.

I am not part of the BBS beer club, but I am considering it since I have been brewing more often and enjoy the mixes they have very much. I own the recipe book and it has been great!

Any one mash in the oven? After adding your strike water to the mashing pot place the pot in the oven at low temp, or with the oven off after being on low temp to keep the temp of the mash more stable?

This was such a big improvement in my brew day. 170 preheat while I mash in. Turn it off and forget it. It holds the temp perfectly...in fact I get a little rise and take it out after 15 minutes to stir. Really freed up my mash time to do other things besides nurse a rising and falling mash temp.

That's great to know Calichusetts, I will try that on my next brew day. I also want to try using a hopps bag to help eliminate some crud.

Back