Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could use a small 2 gallon cooler to mash, and just use a bag inside it. Don't worry about putting a valve in. Look for a cheap cooler. It's much easier to do it that way than turning the heat up and down.

That's brilliant! Perfect idea :) I will try that on my next brew. What type of bag is recommended,can you reuse it,and how do you clean/sanitize it? Thanks much!

MedBrewer said:
That's brilliant! Perfect idea :) I will try that on my next brew. What type of bag is recommended,can you reuse it,and how do you clean/sanitize it? Thanks much!

Go to lhbs and they should have muslin bags for like 50 cents or something nutz.

hehawbrew said:
Go to lhbs and they should have muslin bags for like 50 cents or something nutz.

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot. Really cheap. I use a 5 gallon cooler. I have done up to 4 gallons that way. Next step is to add a bulkhead to make it easier to drain instead of picking up the bag.

Gunbu said:
Awesome, thanks. Didnt get to brewing mine today but hopefully tomorrow. Good luck on your brew, I'm sure it'll be good.

Finally opened one of these this week. It carbed 14 days then chilled for 2. It's very good! It has a little hint of grapefruit or fruitiness, but definitely not a fruit beer. It's pretty crisp, but I left out some of the crystal and the victory (accident). There's a pretty strong bitter aftertaste that hits you after about 10 seconds.

I will definitely do this one again with all the right grain.

I want to try the grapefruit one when my wife pops our baby out since she really wants to try it.

Has anyone tried the Edelweiss? Seems interesting....

I want to brew another batch of WGD light with a little less hops,to let the malty flavors shine a bit more.

Add more grain! Get an ABV boost!

I usually end up adding more hops and have recently started to dry hop.

I just bottled five gal of the Simcoe IPA but used Citra hops instead and dry hopped an extra oz!

Has anyone ever made the Well Made Triple?

I was thinking of making it this weekend, but, wanted to see what everyone thought.

I brewed the Pumpkin Dubbel this weekend. Everything went very smoothly, and the roasted pumpkin is amazing even by itself!

The only problem is that my gravity was only 1.058, which won't be enough to get 7.5% ABV. Maybe my pumpkin wasn't sugary enough?

I should have checked the Pre-boil gravity and added sugar if necessary. In fact, shouldn't a dubbel have some sugar in it? Next time I might just add another quarter cup of brown sugar to the boil to get it there.

Unless I am surprised by the S-33 yeast and it attenuates down much lower than expected.

Higher attenuation is always possible. But using BS2,I was a little below the mark for an American IPA gravity-wise. I had all the grains,hops,extract,etc where they should be. So I added 1lb of demerara sugar (raw cane sugar). It has the added bonus of a light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. It brought my gravity up to where it should be,added to the color & flavor complexity a bit,& didn't dry out the beer.
With a grain change from 3.2oz chocolate malt to 8oz melanoiden malt,the OG for my Maori IPA went up to 1.061 with 5.6lbs grains & 3lbs plain DME. Did the same with my new Cougar Country IPA recipe,& efficiency went through the roof @ OG 1.074! They're both past initial fermentation atm,so we'll se where they both end up. If the CCIPA gets down to FG1.012,that's 8.81%ABV by Cooper's formula.
So a little sugar can work wonders,too much can ruin you. It's like an old Arabic saying I heard years ago "Kiff is like fire. A little warms,a lot burns.".

Did the everyday IPA for the third time on Sunday. I used Amarillo hops and nugget hops instead of what the original recipe called for. Also added 1/2 lb of sun dried apricots this morning. Hoping to get something between a Nugget Nectar and a #9!

Did the everyday IPA for the third time on Sunday. I used Amarillo hops and nugget hops instead of what the original recipe called for. Also added 1/2 lb of sun dried apricots this morning. Hoping to get something between a Nugget Nectar and a #9!

How long will you leave it on the apricots?

I brewed the Pumpkin Dubbel this weekend. Everything went very smoothly, and the roasted pumpkin is amazing even by itself!

The only problem is that my gravity was only 1.058, which won't be enough to get 7.5% ABV. Maybe my pumpkin wasn't sugary enough?

I should have checked the Pre-boil gravity and added sugar if necessary. In fact, shouldn't a dubbel have some sugar in it? Next time I might just add another quarter cup of brown sugar to the boil to get it there.

Unless I am surprised by the S-33 yeast and it attenuates down much lower than expected.

This went through a strange cycle. It slowed down to nothing after about 3 days. It had a little bit of foam on top, and it wasn't starting to clear at all, so I let it sit. After about 18 days, it started up again, not full force, but enough to leave a new high water mark on the neck of the jug. It is still going now. Still not clear. This might take a month to finish.

When it started back up, it was cooler than when it started, so I don't think the temperature roused it.

That is odd..... Are there pumpkin chunks in the bucket or were they added during boil?

I'll keep the apricots in there until I bottle..... So, mid November .

That is odd..... Are there pumpkin chunks in the bucket or were they added during boil?

I'll keep the apricots in there until I bottle..... So, mid November .

Some goes in the mash and some goes in the boil. I think pumpkin might be starchy and need the mash to convert to sugar. The boil adds flavor. It was roasted with brown sugar.

None in the fermentation, but that would possibly add some additional aroma.

You're letting this ferment for ~6 weeks?

ericbw said:
Some goes in the mash and some goes in the boil. I think pumpkin might be starchy and need the mash to convert to sugar. The boil adds flavor. It was roasted with brown sugar. None in the fermentation, but that would possibly add some additional aroma. You're letting this ferment for ~6 weeks?

Yeah- I don't transfer to secondary, so, it gives it time to clear a bit, plus, I know it will most likely be fermented out...... Plus I hate botteling!!!

I may be trying that Pumpkin brew soon! I wanted to make it last fall and just did not have the time....hate it when that happens! Ill have to be using canned pumpkin, and suggestions?

I may be trying that Pumpkin brew soon! I wanted to make it last fall and just did not have the time....hate it when that happens! Ill have to be using canned pumpkin, and suggestions?

I don't know how well canned pumpkin roasts, so you might not get the browning that you do on chunks. I would also be ready to strain from the boil to the fermenter. The pumpkin will be close to liquid at that point.

I have heard that butternut squash gives pumpkin flavor, so you might be able to find it frozen in chunks.

Next time I make a dubbel, I will either culture yeast from a Trappist bottle OR buy liquid yeast.

Just finished bottling my BBS oatmeal raisin cookie stout. Tasted great!
I didn't add the cinnamon stick but I added vanilla extract and brown sugar at cool down, then added more vanilla extract with the priming sugar. Will taste in a couple weeks! Cheers!

I have the Smoked Wheat and Bourbon Dubbel fermenting...

slight hiccup with the bourbon dubbel... it may not turn out quite right, but I have high hopes for the Smoked Wheat.

Smoked Wheat from BBS is one of the best beers I've had in my life,amazing. You should try the recipe book they have its amazing!

Smoked Wheat from BBS is one of the best beers I've had in my life,amazing. You should try the recipe book they have its amazing!

I have the recipe book also..

I'm going to start buying the grains and everything myself and do 2 gallon batches....

I'm still about a week and a half from bottling the Smoked Wheat. Then have to wait on the bottles to carb up.

Who has done the Bruxelles Blonde?

Everything went well, but after fermenting for a couple of weeks, it certainly seems to be quite a bit darker than a blonde.

This might be the first one I try to cold crash before bottling.

Anyone have any pictures of one poured into glass?

That grain kit is coming in soon for me, dealing with tons of weather here in NC. Glad to here it's a little on the darkside.

Eddie

Who has done the Bruxelles Blonde?

Everything went well, but after fermenting for a couple of weeks, it certainly seems to be quite a bit darker than a blonde.

This might be the first one I try to cold crash before bottling.

Anyone have any pictures of one poured into glass?

What's in that grain bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was just wondering if anyone has sent them spent grain recipies for their spent grain chef pages? I made some pizzas last night with spent grain biscuit crust. turned out pretty good.

I dried out a grapefruit peel for the Grapefruit Honey Ale and at the same time, scraped and dried out the peels for 4 large oranges. Anyway, I threw those (all the orange peels) in at the end of the boil for a BBS Summer Wheat I did a week later. They boiled for 9 minutes. Anybody can tell me what kind of taste Ill get from this?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

I dried out a grapefruit peel for the Grapefruit Honey Ale and at the same time, scraped and dried out the peels for 4 large oranges. Anyway, I threw those (all the orange peels) in at the end of the boil for a BBS Summer Wheat I did a week later. They boiled for 9 minutes. Anybody can tell me what kind of taste Ill get from this?

I think that taste will be awesomeness. Depending on how much pith there was (white), you might get a sharp bitterness at the end. Which is good. But you'll definitely get a strong orange aroma. The flavor might be too strong.

If that's a 1 gallon batch, it's a lot of orange. I did a gallon saison and it had 1 orange. It's a subtle aroma and probably needs double. But 4 might be really strong.

The 9 minute boil might have boiled off some though.

I've never had much success adding any type of peel or zest with more than 5 minutes of a boil. I add it at flameout and its still pretty subtle. Consider adding it to a secondary or making a vodka tea with it for bottling time.

I think that taste will be awesomeness. Depending on how much pith there was (white), you might get a sharp bitterness at the end. Which is good. But you'll definitely get a strong orange aroma. The flavor might be too strong.

If that's a 1 gallon batch, it's a lot of orange. I did a gallon saison and it had 1 orange. It's a subtle aroma and probably needs double. But 4 might be really strong.

The 9 minute boil might have boiled off some though.

Four does seem a lot. Zest of one is prob good enough. Let us know what you end up doing and how it taste!

I made my wife a "bud lite lime" using BBS WGD LITE recipe. Used the zest of one lime at flame out for a two gallon recipe. Wish I would have used two, but, it was good.

Anyone ever tried using essential oils?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Four does seem a lot. Zest of one is prob good enough. Let us know what you end up doing and how it taste!

Sure will! Just moved it to a warmer room to finish up the ferment. Im curious to taste how it comes out.

Hello. I just finished a batch of Bruxelles blonde. My first beer! Yes it is pretty dark! Anyway, I washed the yeast to reuse for future beers. What kind of beers would this work with? Should I stick to Belgian Ales, or can I make something like a stout with it?

Thanks!

Hello. I just finished a batch of Bruxelles blonde. My first beer! Yes it is pretty dark! Anyway, I washed the yeast to reuse for future beers. What kind of beers would this work with? Should I stick to Belgian Ales, or can I make something like a stout with it?

Thanks!

What yeast is with that one? Is it S-33? If so, I don't know about it. My one experience was that it stopped and then started again. Took a long time to finish. So I guess it depends on how strong the stout is.

But in general, you can use any yeast for any beer - it might not be exactly to style, but that's ok.

What yeast is with that one? Is it S-33? If so, I don't know about it. My one experience was that it stopped and then started again. Took a long time to finish. So I guess it depends on how strong the stout is.

But in general, you can use any yeast for any beer - it might not be exactly to style, but that's ok.

Thanks for the response! Not sure what yeast it is (and not quite sure how to find out), but it's good to know that different types of yeast can be versatile.

I just made a new batch with my salvaged yeast, with 3/4 pilsner malt and 1/4 wheat. We'll see what that turns out like. I really don't know what I'm doing, but it's fun to mess around!

Thanks for the response! Not sure what yeast it is (and not quite sure how to find out), but it's good to know that different types of yeast can be versatile.

I just made a new batch with my salvaged yeast, with 3/4 pilsner malt and 1/4 wheat. We'll see what that turns out like. I really don't know what I'm doing, but it's fun to mess around!

Just in case you also didn't know: yeast performs differently at different temperatures. So it might taste one way when fermented warm, and another way if it is cool. Usually, the higher the temp, the more flavors come out. That's a generalization.

Does the BBS kit come with a small packet of yeast without a label?

Just in case you also didn't know: yeast performs differently at different temperatures. So it might taste one way when fermented warm, and another way if it is cool. Usually, the higher the temp, the more flavors come out. That's a generalization.

Does the BBS kit come with a small packet of yeast without a label?

Hmm. Interesting! Yeah the yeast packet just said "bruxelles blonde" on it, as I recall.

Hmm. Interesting! Yeah the yeast packet just said "bruxelles blonde" on it, as I recall.

Also, the *amount*of yeast has an effect, too. A lot of breweries use one yeast and manipulate it for different results. It takes some research and practice.

There's nothing on the yeast packets, but there is a specific yeast written out for each recipe in the book. Of course, this varies by recipe.

BBS was my first brew, ever. I wanted to skip extract altogether in the beginning. I did the Chocolate Maple Porter. It's pretty roasty. I boiled off too much wort and had to add almost six cups of water to the fermenter. The porter flavor was incredibly strong, and of the porters I've had, it was most similar to Kona Coffee Porter. Any ideas as to why the porter flavor was so strong?

Recently, I brewed the Honey Grapefruit Ale. So far it has been a disaster. The grapefruit flavor isn't there, but the bitterness is. After two weeks in, I bottled. I sucked up too much yeast at the end of the siphoning, which really seems to have clouded up the beer. I tried one last night, warm, after only 1 week of bottle conditioning - and the result was volcanic. I tried a bit of what was left and it was one of the worst beers I've ever had. At some point I think something went wrong in the process. I'll age the other bottles a bit more and repost what happens.

A friend also brewed their Mexican hot Chocolate Stout. I didn't observe his process so who knows what happened along the way, but it tasted like...nothing. Stout water, maybe.

One constant I've seen with Brooklyn Brew Shop recipes is that almost every one results in overcarbonation. Fridge resting seems to help, though.

Latest posts

Back