Ever mixed two strains of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
I went to the local LHBS to put together a recipe for 11 gallon batch of Imperial IPA. My intention was to use Dry Safale 05 exclusively but there were not enough packs in stock. Wyeast 1056 wet was suggested to supplement the yeast bill and I went along for the sake of learning something new.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone mixed strains successfully (unsuccessfully)?

Thanks!

They are basically the same strain so it is really not mixing strains. You should have no problem at all.

Yes, I have mixed strains with good results. I did a tripel using 3787 and 1214. First time it came out well but the 3787 dominated the flavor, since 1214 is known to be a slow starter. The second time I did a starter of 1214 and just pitched the pack of 3787, This gave the 1214 a little jump and the beer turned out exactly like I wanted it too. A pretty balanced flavor from both yeasts.

Do you have a growler or maybe an old gallon jug? And some extra dme? You could whip up a starter with the wyeast. It's really easy and I've used the shake method successfully just look up a yeast calculator like homebrewdad. But as for your question I'm sure you will be fine from my understanding those are the same strain of yeast or something like that.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I do quite a bit of yeast blending with saisons and i am happy with the results. With those beers i am shooting for a specific blend ratio for a specific flavor profile and fermentation behavior. Here's how i do it: http://horscategoriebrewing.blogspot.ca/2014/09/yeast-growing-and-blending.html

For your case because the yeasts are basically the same you won't need to worry about ratios so much, so get the total number of cells you want from both combined and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back