Ever heard of DIMS ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerocd

Reaction score
So I'm reading through old issues of Zymurgy and BYO that I got as part of an Ebay score and I ran across an article talking about DIMS, RIMS and HERMS. I get the last two, can't spend 5 minutes on this board without learning about those. Has anyone heard of a DIMS system? I'd just be curious as to what it was, how it worked, and why it fell out of favor so quickly vs the other two popular options here.

-OCD

Direct Infusion Mash System

Direct Fired...

No external heat exchanger. People here just call it RIMS...

I think that DIMS stands for Direct Infusion Mash System. This can mean anything from a single infusion mash to a stepped mash with multiple boiling water infusions. It is different from a RIMS in that there are no burners or electric heating elements used to raise the mash temps. A RIMS simply is a Recirculating Infusion Mash System and there are various designs using both gas and electric heat sources. I suppose technically a RIMS would not necessarily require the use of burners or heating elements. IOW, you could infuse a RIMS with boiling water to raise temps, or would that be a DIRMS for Direct Infusion Recirculating Mash System? Where will it all end?

I think that DIMS stands for Direct Infusion Mash System. This can mean anything from a single infusion mash to a stepped mash with multiple boiling water infusions. It is different from a RIMS in that there are no burners or electric heating elements used to raise the mash temps. A RIMS simply is a Recirculating Infusion Mash System and there are various designs using both gas and electric heat sources. I suppose technically a RIMS would not necessarily require the use of burners or heating elements. IOW, you could infuse a RIMS with boiling water to raise temps, or would that be a DIRMS for Direct Infusion Recirculating Mash System? Where will it all end?

This is basically what I've got... I use an element in PID controlled recirculation system, but when I'm ramping from one temp to another, I throw a little flame on the MLT to help out.

Latest posts

Back