Circulation with HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolektiv

Reaction score
Hi folks, first post here, still learning and gaining understanding of various things...

So in learning about the difference between RIMS and HERMS I read this: RIMS vs HERMS | Which Brewing System Should You Pick? - which seems sensible. Except there's one bit there which doesn't match my intuition, or what I'd gathered from other sources - it says that "In a HERMS brewing setup, the wort is gently extracted from the top of the MLT through a pump and a network of pipes." This would seem to imply that the water is never really circulated through the grain bed. With a RIMS system it says the wort is taken from the bottom of the MLT - why would you *not* do this with HERMS? Am I wrong, or is this article wrong, or... I suspect I'm missing some nuance somewhere :)

Thanks!

Hi folks, first post here, still learning and gaining understanding of various things...

So in learning about the difference between RIMS and HERMS I read this: RIMS vs HERMS | Which Brewing System Should You Pick? - which seems sensible. Except there's one bit there which doesn't match my intuition, or what I'd gathered from other sources - it says that "In a HERMS brewing setup, the wort is gently extracted from the top of the MLT through a pump and a network of pipes." This would seem to imply that the water is never really circulated through the grain bed. With a RIMS system it says the wort is taken from the bottom of the MLT - why would you *not* do this with HERMS? Am I wrong, or is this article wrong, or... I suspect I'm missing some nuance somewhere :)

Thanks!
The article is wrong. Wort is extracted from the MLT the same way for both RIMS and HERMS.
Really the only difference between the two systems is one heats the wort directly, whereas the other heats a reservoir of water that in turn heats the wort. Both have pros and cons and they would all be detailed in a lot of places.
The difference can be divisive between many brewers but both systems can make great beer when set up properly.
FYI, personally I went with HERMS as I did not want to worry about scorching. I know this can be avoided with proper flow rate but it was one less thing to worry about.

Thanks both, that confirms my intuition! Such a weird error to make though, it even goes in to detail about the "gently extracting" the wort from the top. It's pretty reasonable except for that!

Latest posts

Back