Ever heard of a Valentine Arm for fly sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragutis

Reaction score
This looks pretty neat but I don't quite understand the concept. Can someone school me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people make all this fancy stuff to simply fly sparge?

I use a 1/2" ID hose... that lays on top of the mash.

The concept is simple...

The MLT outlet is wide open, and he has "automatic" flow control because he has essentially raised the MLT oultet so that it only runs at the same rate that he is introducing sparge water. It is really simple, but rediculous ;)

Same as drilling a hole half way up your kettle, the water will drain out at the exact same rate that you are running it in.

It looks to me like it keeps the sparge level at a certain height, which would be the height of where the wort is exiting into the BK. Sparging faster would mean it would drain faster, slower means slower. It's so you don't go below the level of the grain bed, and also don't overflow your MLT.

The problem I see is that you cannot drain your MLT with it... it will only drain to the level of the output tube height.

The Blichman Auto Sparge is a good solution too, that thing is tight.

I haven't seen this before, but I'll take a guess:

The water inside the tun will only rise to the level of the top of the outlet pipe. No need to dink with balancing the outlet and inlet valves. The outflow will always match the inflow.

Now, if you don't mind I have to go to the bathroom after watching that video!:drunk:

So I guess the height of the arm would have to be able to be higher than the height of the grain. Seems like that would be a pain unless it was adjustable or the grain bed was the same height every time.

So I guess the height of the arm would have to be able to be higher than the height of the grain. Seems like that would be a pain unless it was adjustable or the grain bed was the same height every time.

Yup, the toilet float/valve idea is the best I have seen
autosparge.jpg

See above...

Basically you open your sparge valve WIDE open, then crack open your MLT valve to the degree that you desire. The SS float will shunt the sparge water flow so that you do not overflow the MLT. The float is adjustable.

Isn't aerating the hot liquor a bad thing at this point?

No. HSA is not as big a deal as many make it to be. I've seen pics of gants in lots of breweries that just scream "HSA" to most, but their beer is fine.

Why do people make all this fancy stuff to simply fly sparge?
Why do people make all this fancy stuff to simply heat/boil wort?

Joking aside, this design is fantastically simple. He used a TON of fittings to make it work, but it really isn't complicated at all. If you wanted to eliminate any chance of HSA, you could run some tubing down into the boil kettle and drill a vent hole at the top to prevent siphoning.

I was thinking some Loc-Line would be good since you could adjust the height to match your grain bed height.

Back