Ever Had a Better Bottle "Gunk" Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I use 2, 6 gallon Better Bottle carboys whenever I brew. Once fermentation is complete, I keg, and not 30 minutes after I keg do I fill one of the carboys up with a PBW mixture, let it sit for 48 hours, rack into the 2ns Batter Bottle with the same PBW mixture, let it sit for 72 hours, then call the carboys clean. Well, something weird happened last batch. I let the 2nd carboy sit for about 5-7 days, and I noticed a lot of gunk at the bottom of the carboy, fizzy bubbles coming through the liquid, looking like a damned infection. When I emptied the carboy, it was evident that something was growing in that carboy. Stunk like holy hell!!! No, I will not use that carbiy again. Only thing I can come up with is that the Better Bottle Carboy must be scratched, and I gave it enough time to get funky. My question is, has anyone here ever had something similar happen to them with Plastic Carboys?
I switched all of my glass over to plastic about 3-4 years ago. I now have 6, six gallon better bottle carboys, and 4, five gallon ones for secondary. I did this because I have seen, second hand via pictures here, and through my brew club what glass can do when you have an Uh Oh moment. Scary enough for me. Now that I have dealt with an infection in my cleaning regiment, it has me wondering if I should buy all new Better Bottle carboys and call it a "rotation". What say ye?

Also, as a side note, I have revamped my cleaning of carboys since this. I now (as I am doing right now:D) fill both carboys with FRESH hot water and PBW. No more reusing the PBW from the first carboy, then into the seconds. I feel that the caca from the first carboy helped the "gunkiness" infiltrate the second carboy.

Never had it happen even leaving Oxyclean in for as much as a week. I guess I would retire the Better Bottle that had the smelly gunk. I think the smelly gunk was rotting debris, not necessarily started from any scratch.

I would also say you would risk the same leaving the dirty stuff in any container for 5-7 days.

I must take this as a warning not to let mine sit as long as I have in the past......

Back