Ever get people asking for a "lighter" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
I've been getting those for as long as I've been brewing. "Could you make something more like <insert commercial brew name here>? That's my favorite!"

Or how about this one, from people put off by color? "I don't like the 'darker' beers." You can just about hear the quotation marks around the word "darker" when they say it.

For the most part, my response has been that I would not try to duplicate the quality, consistency and clarity of commercial beers, and I would always have some on hand to offer guests. This has many benefits, especially that people who don't really like my beers don't drink them (thus leaving more for me and my guests who DO like them).

But this year, almost as an exercise in what I could and could not accomplish, I decided to try to make something for those folks. The results are posted here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/extra-pale-ale-93981/#post1021076

It was simple to brew, came out pale (straw colored) and very clear, and was really delicious. There is nothing special about the techniques or recipe, anyone could duplicate it. Everyone who has tried it has raved about it but the real test is still to come, when people are here for the holidays.

Yeah, my older brother drinks a light beer.... he's not too fond of the beers I had here when he visited. I'm on a Pale ale kick lately, so I'm trying for lighter stuff he might like.

I had a lot of people asking and brewed up Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops - huge hit for the light colored beer drinkers. I have a mini mash version if interested. Itls ALMOST like a Bud but with flavor.

what is 1/2 lb #10 (i.e., palest) crushed crystal for steeping.??? Like crystal 10L ???

also - next time try some flaked corn in there

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

i make lighter color beers from time to time. BM's Cent. Blonde for example. there are some people who come over who would never drink a "darker" beer. they can be just as good as any other beer.

I have never gotten that question for some reason. When I give beer as gifts or bring it to parties my most popular is ussually a hoppy APA. Go figure.

Although I have been know to do what beerthirty does, my dad likes lagers/pilsners. Lighter Pale Ales are fine, be he's just not an ale guy.

With the cooler weather, I brewed up a batch of Jamil's "MyBurger", but added a bit of Belgian Pilsner malt to it. Been lagering for a couple of weeks and WOW, he loves it (so do I).

You should try a pilsner or lager...

I brewed a pliny clone and the color was pretty yellow. Looked like a BMC in color. The taste was something else though.

I find a lot of people don't mind drinking beers darker than they're used to but they just don't like hop flavor.

I find this kind of strange. Everytime I've offered homebrew to BMC drinkers, they like it, be it a pale ale or a porter. Now maybe I intimidate them and they lie about liking it, but I think the more likely answer is that the general public aren't the flock of sheep many on this board like to believe. Sure, some of the people who tried both a pale ale and a stout/porter/wee heavy, etc. preferred the lighter beer, but they enjoyed the darker as well.

I think the more likely answer is that the general public aren't the flock of sheep many on this board like to believe.

Not everybody is--I'm blessed with a circle of friends who'll try, and try to enjoy, just about anything--but SWMBO's extended family, for example, won't drink anything darker, or more exotic than, Stella Artois. Thankfully, her dad likes my beer. :D

That said, I'm brewing up some Centennial Blonde right now (although I doubled the Cascade additions), and it is absolutely Bud yellow. Tastes pretty good, too, for 7-day-old beer. Maybe I'll bottle a few in Stella bottles and see what happens. ;)

Latest posts

Back