Establishing Consistency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on how to get better consistency on my brews, I do all grain 10 gallon, electric with a 2 vessel recirculation system for mashing and fermenting in a big mouth bubbler and a Catalyst conical fermenter, just looking for ideas

He who controls the milling of the grain controls the consistency. If you buy your grains pre-milled, someone else gets to choose your efficiency.

What kind of consistency are you trying to get? Efficiency, flavor, attenuation, etc?

Flavor is the main piece I am after, but I have my own 3 roller monster mill and have it set at .038 and do a double crush since i do a recirculation mash, I am brewing a fairly easy batch usually, a nice light session beer to get me through the winter, anyway its uaually 18 lbs 2 row and 2 lbs of 20L and come in at 1.040 and ferment out down to 1.008, but I think that my biggest hurdle right now is "good" temp control for fermenting, I currently have 1 brew belt and try to keep one of the fermenters at 70 in my basement, but my basement is very waarm in the winter since we have a fireplace that keeps it about 70-72 down there

Yeast starters and a cheap mini refrigerator for fermentation temperature control helped me. I also keep meticulous records on everything I do.

Back