ESBs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I was given great advice here on choosing a good ESB. Bothe the Fuller's and Speckled Hen were great! Thank you very much!

But I still must say that of the several I have tried Foster's ESB is up there with these two.

I have had one that was bland, and one that was very bitter and SWMBO and I both disliked it greatly. Wish I knew which one it was, and keep meaning to find a small pocket sized notepad and collapsible pen to keep notes on. That is funny in itself as I could always just use my phone! Guess I'm just an old dog...

I really like the biscuity taste that the Foster's beer has. Are there any others that are similar to any of the three?

Can anyone come up with a good starting point to create a Foster's Premium Ale (ESB) clone?

Would S-4 do well?

Thanks for that one as well!

I forgot to mention that I'd be doing a partial mash, and despite very hard water, I've been told it shouldn't harm my beer's taste.

I generally buy my ingredients from MoreBeer, although I often buy grains locally since i can get exact amounts (Home Brew Party).

I considered using pale extract (Briess Golden Light LME), Maris Otter, and I read that Castle Belgian Biscuit, Weyermann Melanoidin, and Briess Special Roast may give me the biscuity flavor I'm after. What grains and in what amounts would you use them for a 5.5-5.8 gal partial?

Since I wouldn't brew English beers often enough I'd like to use S-4, though I've considered getting an all purpose British yeast and making several different UK styles beers to keep it going.

I also intend on using Northern Brewer and British Kent Goldings hops.

I'm not necessarily wanting to clone Foster's ale, but make it quite biscuity as theirs is.

Back