ESB Recipe - First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
I'm looking into making my first partial mash recipe this weekend and it's an ESB (also the first one of those as well.)

Any thoughts or suggestions on everything from the grain and or hop bill to stovetop mash suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated! I'll be using Maris Otter for the pale malt.

Extra Special Kitchen ***** Bitter (ESKBB)

English Pale Ale, Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.072
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.75
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.29
Anticipated SRM: 9.0
Anticipated IBU: 54.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.1 4.50 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5
25.8 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
8.1 0.63 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
3.2 0.25 lbs. Torrified Wheat Great Britain 1.036 1
3.2 0.25 lbs. Amber Malt Great Britain 1.032 35
1.6 0.13 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Wye Challenger Pellet 7.00 46.1 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 5.3 30 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 2.9 15 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

I'm planning on a stovetop mash. Bringing the water up to a temp that I can add the grain to and sustain around 152 for around an hour. I think I can get this done in my oven on the warm setting. Will sparge with 170. Thanks!

I made a partial mash ESB about 8 weeks ago and its starting to taste good! :D I used Maris, Victory, and Special Roast malts to give it a nice bread taste. If this is your first partial mash, I would go with an efficiency of 65%. I think I ended up around 60%. Expect to see your beer clear very well with that yeast. Make sure you aerate well before pitching.

HTH,
Bill

I just brew an ESB a week ago and transfered to the secondary today. Man, did it ever taste good comin out of the primary. It contained 3 oz of Willamette hops and 1 oz of Colombus hops. I picked up the kit from my local brew shop in St. Charles. I've never brew a bad batch on their recommendations.

Keep us updated on how it turns out. Recipe looks good and I'm always looking for another good ESB recipe.

Oh yeah, I also used irish moss and the beer is very clear coming out of the primary.

Ok, a lower efficiency is probably a safe bet, thanks for the tip. I'm afraid I'll just have to use extra DME to make up the gravity points if necessary, as I think this is about all the grain my current lowly set up and handle.
I like the character victory creates, and that's one grain I considered, but I'd never used amber, so I'm kind of experimenting. I'll definitely be throwing some irish moss in there.
I'll post any updates if i change anything, I pretty excited about it. Thanks for the tips so far!

Back