Esb extract (mb) recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunmojo

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have just finished fermenting my first brew , so im ready to start on my second one. I would like to do the ESB (red hook) clone that was posted by MB, and some people have already tried to convert it to extract from all grain.
PLEASE take a look and let me know what you think, I am also a little confused about the calculations that I came up with (tasty brew online calculator).

Color

Stats
OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 30
ABV 5.0 %
SRM 13

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
YEAST Safale s-04
Irih MOss

Fermentables

Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color

6.61lb (3kg) Amber Malt Extract Syrup (BREWFERM) 47.6 11.9
1.00 American Crystal 60L 2.2 12.0
0.50 CaraPils 1.1 0.2
0.25 Corn Sugar 0.8 0.0******(see below)
0.25 Light Dry Malt Extract 0.7 0.1******(see below)

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
25.0 % 0.50 Willamette Pellet 5.5 2.8 60 0.052 14.3
25.0 % 0.50 Tettnanger Pellet 4.2 2.1 40 0.041 8.6
25.0 % 0.50 Willamette Pellet 5.5 2.8 20 0.019 5.1
25.0 % 0.50 Tettnanger Pellet 4.2 2.1 5 0.009 2.0

******* (the .25 corn and the DME) This I put in the calculator as I was planing on adding .5 lbs of MUNTONS beer kit enhancer and that is 50/50 glucose/dME to raise the alcohol a bit more. or should I just leave it out and drop the total volume of the batch a little bit...?

As for the hopping I am still not sure how I will go about it. I dont know how big of a brew pot i can get and how much liquid i would use for the boil.

In these calculation when it asks for the boil volume, is it just asking for the water amount or the total volume water and the LME together. Or does it do the calculation for me....i guess the boiling volume only changes my hopping. Any suggestions or as long as I increade decrease the amount of hops i use to get the right final MBU ill be fine whatever volume i use. (with 2 gallon volume the MBU drops to 25 for example).

PLEASE let me know what you think... suggestions are MORE than welcome. :D

or if you have something similar to this.
CHEERS!! ALL!!!

Ok thanks ill look at that. Its just that im living in hungary and the kits available are VERY limited including supplies. I could order pretty much anything online, but with delivery its still too expensive for me. So i ry to do what I can with what they have here.

Well it turns out that I will have to resort to something like a 1.5gal boil amount. and that brings down my IBU A LOT!!!!so solution.... without spending too much on hopps.

could I use a 50/50 split of LIGHT LME and "MUntons Premium Bitter kit"(pre hopped)? LINK: Muntons | Home Beer Making

I guess i eill add some flavouring hops at the end of the boil but it would bring up my IBU considering on the can it says the IBU is around 44-55. or is that stupid..?

Back