Erlenmeyer Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you guys that got your order cancelled, did you all respond to his email asking for what purpose you would use the flask?

I was never asked the purpose of my purchase. I did ask if a substitute would be made available and I was told I could purchase their 4L flask for 60. Yeah right. More likely they realized they'd mis priced their product and are now trying to cover themselves.

Yes I responded to the purpose. I think the REAL reason for these cancellations is they realized the flasks were underpriced and they were losing their arse... So instead of fulfilling the orders they took the damage control was to cancel them... Sorry for the chinese fire drill, guys! Legit company that couldn't deliver what they promised...

Fred,

I'll confess that I'm of a similar opinion. I also asked for a substitution and was offered a $60+ option, which seems a bit ridiculous. Disappointing that Midland couldn't do more in the customer service department to address the issue.

You could be right Fred, but then the mystery is why did some of our orders get fulfilled and are shipped. Why wouldn't they just have cancelled them all?

My best guess, based on experience in online retail, is that either the manufacturer or distributor discontinued the 3L and 5L flasks. They lowered the price to move the remaining stock and Midland passed that discount along to us (probably automatically). The discount was noticed by the homebrewing community which lead to more sales than their inventory control system (if they even have one) could keep up with, and the oversold it. The fact that the two flasks disappeared from their site is telling. Of course if they suddenly come back at a higher price....

hmm.. I didn't get an email that mine was canceled... and it looks like I didn't create an online account so I am not able to see my order status. I will have to give them a call I guess..

I finally got an e-mail saying my order was canceled. Either this was a screw up on the part of Midland or it's a scam.

Yea , Mine is canceled too. KInda figured that from the start. To Good to be TRUE !!!Anyway , It's kinda a good thing anyway. The 5 L flasks are JUNK. Thats what I ordered.

As someone else posted

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/5000-ml-flask.html for $40.00 Bucks n shipping.

They are UNITED brand with the same model number as the flasks I ordered from MSI

Read the reviews !!!!

I'm happy they canceled my order!

:mug:

Anyway , It's kinda a good thing anyway. The 5 L flasks are JUNK.

As expected, my order was canceled as well, but I have to say I don't entirely agree with these flasks being junk.

I have the exact same flask, United FG4980 5000ml, that I ordered from some science surplus site (I can't recall the exact site). I've been using it for starters over a year on gas stoves and then immediately chilling in cold tap water, then moving to an ice bath.

Does it feel a little cheap because it's thin and light? Yes.
Has it broken or cracked on me for no reason? No.

I admit, I get scared when the flask bumps into anything solid but I just handle it carefully and I've been happy with its performance.

Just thought I'd throw my experience out there!

Those flasks are condom thin and I have seen them break pretty easily. A real Pyrex or Kimax brand 5L flask should easily retail for more than 60 bucks and is much thicker walled. You can find them for less on ebay occasionally but if you were to buy them from Fisher or VWR, they should run around 60-75 bucks shipped.

I'm sure most people know this stuff already but I figured it is worth posting about as I have a lot of experience with these larger flasks. My brewing brother Paul had one of these Uniteds and it broke pretty easily one day after he pitched. He had set it down on the counter on the stirbar by mistake and the thing just let go with seemingly little force. He was bummed. I was bummed for him.

hmm, I haven't heard anything yet. I ordered 2, 3L early on the 8th. No shipping confirmation nor a cancellation notice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ordered a bunch of stuff, not just flasks, all cancelled. BBB submission might follow if I don't get a decent response on my outstanding email.

Yep got my order (2 3k flasks) canceled last night.. bummer..

I was going to use this for my lager starters until this deal came along. The price is great. I have an electric stove so I won't be direct firing anyway. Do you think there would be an issue pouring the hot wort into this and then going into an ice bath?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/1-gallon-jug.html

flips

Question: Why do so many of you use the flasks for the boiling and ice bath?... Why not use a common kitchen pot and after it's cooled down POUR it into the flask? This is the method I have been using. The only reason I even use a flask is I need the flat bottom for the stir plate to function. Otherwise I would use sanitized milk jugs (def food safe) or whatever type of glass container I could get a hold of... If I can find a suitable flat bottom glass container of around 1 gallon I won't need a 5L flask...

Convenience. You can do it all in the flask (boil, cool, pitch) and don't need to sanitize because boiling in the flask sanitizes it. If you do it in a pot, just one more thing to clean, plus then you have to sanitize your glass jar before you add your wort and pitch. Both methods work perfectly fine, the flask is just simpler and eliminates steps.

My order cancelled, too. If anyone finds another deal, please share...

Re FredThe Nuke's comments, I find that boiling in a pot makes it much less likely to boil over--the shape of the flask makes boiling it in there from the start almost guaranteed. After reaching hot break in the pot, about 5-10 minutes, I'll pour it into the flask, cover the top with foil, and gingerly boil it a bit longer to sanitize the flask, foil, and stir bar. Then I'll move it to the fridge, do something else, and wait until ii reaches pitching temp...

Finding a flat-bottomed glass jar is the trick. The big pickle-jars tend to be curved on the bottom but are a nice size. If your stir plate is really dialed in, then it may work with a curved-bottom jar. Of my three (homemade) stir plates, only one really works well with the curved bottom jars but it's worth a try.

Response from midland after a long mail back and forward, with my last email insinuating bait and switch:

Dan Almond

I can assure you that is not how we conduct business. It was simply a case of the manufacturer coming back to us once we placed the order for all of the United flasks and telling us they were unable to meet our demand for those items and then telling us we would not be able to purchase those two sizes, going forward. As far as the different sizes, most manufacturers do not offer a 3 and 5 liter flask. Most only offer larger flasks in even numbered sizes. The alternative that I offered, is the most economical option with the shortest lead time available. Again, I apologize for the confusion with your order. If there is any way I can help you, please let me know.

Thank you.

Dan Almond
Customer Service Manager

I got mine today, sorry to those that missed out. Comparing it to the glassware at the lab where i work, it's not as beefy as the brand name erlenmeyers but i wouldn't say it's thin. It's well made, but because it's so big there will definitely be some thermal issues. Per the unitedsci.com website it's made of borosilicate so it's not as strong as soda-lime glass, probably more breakable, and because of the size you definitely don't want to heat it on an electric stove. Heating it on gas should be ok, but i don't plan on doing that as my starter ritual process doesn't need it. I just need to find a bigger pot to boil it in, it's huge!

It was $13 + $several for shipping, it's solid enough, and i can't complain.

btw, not made in china (india)

I also received a mailed invoice that indicates I was only charged $7.04 for the 3L flask and nothing for shipping...

Guess I will have to check the CC statement and see what I was acutally charged.

Pretty sweet deal if shipping was not included..

Edit: Just checked my statement, and YES the card was only charged $7.04.... SCORE!!!!!

Damn, how did I miss this? With all the lagers I'm getting ready to do, I would've loved to have some bigger than my 2000 ml ones.

Back