Erlenmeyer flask on elec stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask directly on an electric stove to boil DME? I'm talking about the smooth surface electric stoves, with the heat tempered glass-ceramic surface.

I've been using a pot because I'm paranoid that I'll break my flask!

I do it all of the time. After the boil starts, I move the flask so it is about 1/3 on the burner to keep the boil going without causing a huge boil over and an angry SWMBO.

I also boil in flask directly on a glass top stove. Drop or two of fermcap will prevent boil overs. And you don't want to have to clean the glass after a boil over (and I never want to do it again.)

Brew on :mug:

Does anyone have experience using a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask directly on an electric stove to boil DME? I'm talking about the smooth surface electric stoves, with the heat tempered glass-ceramic surface.

I've been using a pot because I'm paranoid that I'll break my flask!

Just make SURE the DME is in solution and not caked on the bottom of the flask or you might have a disaster. In the following photo, the large one is a 4000ml, the smaller one 2000ml, and they both broke (small one let loose about 10 seconds after this pic - note diagonal crack on back of it). Youch.

BTW, I'm certain the large one is borosilicate, not sure about the smaller one. Large one has been on that stove 100 times, small one 10ish. Bad night.

_mg_1213-66753.jpg

What I do, is set a metal coat hanger on the stove, and set my flask on that. I know that a lot of people set their flasks directly on their glass cook tops, but this sets my mind at ease a little bit, even if it doesn't add any benefit.

Either y'all are single, or there's a lot of fate tempting going on ;)

I hate surprise cleanup details. I boil in a sauce pot...

Cheers!

Stainless 2 gallon kettle for me. No boil overs, no mess. I don't trust glass and after seeing passedpawn's pic, I know I'll never make my starters that way.

Flipping heck. What a mess. You were able to keep calm enough to grab your camera. Impressive

Heh. My wife was in bed. 5L of DME makes a stick mess. I wiped up the floor really good, but still the next AM the floor was sticky. My wife's a saint (and she doesn't drink!). She doesn't even mention this stuff. You might be surprised the stuff she ignores (brewing is just the tip of the iceberg).

I boiled in erlenmeyers on electric glass top for years. Only advise I have is to use fermcap, and dial the heat back to near 0 when you see the first bubble. Electric is slow to respond to changes in power.

I've had my challenges with flasks on the stove. I don't use the flask on the stove anymore.

hand.jpg

Boiling in the flask. Saw a boilover just starting up. Grabbed the flask with a towel to move it off the burner, but it was too late and I paid for it. Friggin wort!

Lost a 6L flask to the uneven heating of my stove element. My 2L never gave me any grief but I won't be trying it again just in case. Too expensive.

I'll make the same comments I do every time this thread comes up.

I don't understand why people tempt fate and boil in the flasks. It's well-known that they vary widely in quality, with the cheaper ones prone to cracking and breaking when subjected to the high temperatures of boiling, uneven temperature application, and rapid cooling in an ice bath. Furthermore, the design of an Erlenmeyer flask is the worst one possible for boiling a liquid prone to rapid foaming. The narrowing throat accelerates the foamover, causing a mess. It's the ideal shape for causing volcano eruptions.

I don't boil my starter worts at all: I pressure can them ahead of time. But even when I was making my starters from scratch each time, I always boiled in a standard stainless steel pot, then cooled in an ice bath, then transferred to a flask. Boiling/cooling directly in the flask just seems downright reckless to me. And I'm a staunch advocate for fermenting in glass carboys, which many people consider too dangerous to use!

For everyone with a glass cook top who has boiled over, I can't recommend this cleaner enough. When used dry with one of the scrubbing pads, you can get just about anything off the stove.

First time I made a starter in the flask on my stove, of course I boiled over. I tried scrubbing like crazy, and even used the above cleaner with a wet sponge. No luck. Then a couple months later I used it with a dry sponge, and holy crap it got every little stain off of the stove. Even stuff that had been caked on there for months, gone within a minute or so.

I've boiled in my 2L flask on my glasstop electric stove a few times - definitely agree that fermcap (or the 5-star equivalent) is a must.

That said - I do cheat a bit: I have one of those electric hot water kettles (SWMBO uses it for tea on occasion). I'll usually heat up a liter or so to boiling in that, then add that to my flask with a measured amount of DME in it and swirl it around until the DME is dissolved. Then I top it off to the appropriate volume, add anti-foamer, and THEN put it on the stove top.

Maybe that's helped avoid tragedies like some of those pictured above?

@passedpawn
getting major deja vu from this thread. Even has a dude posting a pic of his hand, the blister isnt as juicy in this one though

but yeah, use fermcap, turn the heat low once it gets close, and WATCH THE DAMN THING.

Laboratory glass is very durable, right up to the moment it's not! I use a pot.

I did once, and it was a success, but it was so much more work and attention adjusting heat, sliding the flask around on the burner, being worried about the thing cracking in a cooling bath...I never bothered again. It's so much less stressful to just boil in a pot, drop the pot in an ice bath, then pour into the sanitized flask.

I just recently started using my trust old 2 gallon stock pot for large starters. Boil some water + DME, lid on for a few minutes. Then drop in the stir bar and put it in the fridge until it's cooled off. Put it on the stir plate, add the yeast, and we're off to the races.

I did once, and it was a success, but it was so much more work and attention adjusting heat, sliding the flask around on the burner, being worried about the thing cracking in a cooling bath...I never bothered again. It's so much less stressful to just boil in a pot, drop the pot in an ice bath, then pour into the sanitized flask.

Ever think about skipping the flask and just using the pot?

I've had my challenges with flasks on the stove. I don't use the flask on the stove anymore.

Yikes. What a painful experience. I feel very fortunate not to have any similar mishaps. That must have been an agonising few weeks as things healed.

Ever think about skipping the flask and just using the pot?

Maybe I wasn't clear....I'm not putting everything in the flask then boiling the flask in a water bath in the pot. I'm mixing the wort in a pot, boiling, chilling, THEN transferring to the flask.

So, yes, I have thought about it I guess, since that's what I'm doing. :ban:

Maybe I wasn't clear....I'm not putting everything in the flask then boiling the flask in a water bath in the pot. I'm mixing the wort in a pot, boiling, chilling, THEN transferring to the flask.

So, yes, I have thought about it I guess, since that's what I'm doing. :ban:

Yup, I understood your original post. I've done exactly what you do many times.

What I'm asking is, have you ever considered just doing everything in the pot? I have a starter in a pot right now spinning on a stir plate, no flask used at all.

I also boil in flask directly on a glass top stove. Drop or two of fermcap will prevent boil overs. And you don't want to have to clean the glass after a boil over (and I never want to do it again.)

Cosign on this. And the denser with sugars the boiled over liquid is, the more crucial it is for you to clean it up immediately. on one of these stoves.

I had a boil over when cooking hot pepper jelly a couple years back, and it actually pitted the glass surface on top of the burner from the amount of absorbed heat. Now I do as little boiling of sugary substances on it, as possible.

Yup, I understood your original post. I've done exactly what you do many times.

What I'm asking is, have you ever considered just doing everything in the pot? I have a starter in a pot right now spinning on a stir plate, no flask used at all.

Ah gotcha. I don't want to tie up my saucepan for that long, and my stir plate is pretty weak, not sure how well it would spin the stir bar through 5-ply stainless.

For everyone with a glass cook top who has boiled over, I can't recommend this cleaner enough. When used dry with one of the scrubbing pads, you can get just about anything off the stove.

First time I made a starter in the flask on my stove, of course I boiled over. I tried scrubbing like crazy, and even used the above cleaner with a wet sponge. No luck. Then a couple months later I used it with a dry sponge, and holy crap it got every little stain off of the stove. Even stuff that had been caked on there for months, gone within a minute or so.

Just use a paint scraper like this one here. I've been doing this for years, on two different models, no problem. No effort either. No matter what it is, it comes right off.

61i3-sR1q8L._SL1500_.jpg

Haha, I've got a pair of those. I use them when grilling though. I like them because I can wash them in the dishwasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make starters directly in the erlenmeyers on my GAS stove, but even with quite a bit of antifoam I still almost always get boil over...

I'm really curious how people add the DME in a way that doesn't spill and make a mess. If I try to just carefully pour the DME from the bag even into my GIANT 5L erlenmeyer, it still ends up spilling, if I use a funnel with anything other than cold water the funnel almost instantly clogs.

If I add DME to cold water it doesn't dissolve and just sits there and then when I turn on the heat the DME on the bottom burns.

If I add DME to hot water the steam starts hardening the stuff in the bag, on the funnel, on the sides of the erlenmeyer and it just never fully dissolves from the sides of the top of the erlenmeyer.

How the hell do you do this "right"??!?

Adam

I make starters directly in the erlenmeyers on my GAS stove, but even with quite a bit of antifoam I still almost always get boil over...

I'm really curious how people add the DME in a way that doesn't spill and make a mess. If I try to just carefully pour the DME from the bag even into my GIANT 5L erlenmeyer, it still ends up spilling, if I use a funnel with anything other than cold water the funnel almost instantly clogs.

If I add DME to cold water it doesn't dissolve and just sits there and then when I turn on the heat the DME on the bottom burns.

If I add DME to hot water the steam starts hardening the stuff in the bag, on the funnel, on the sides of the erlenmeyer and it just never fully dissolves from the sides of the top of the erlenmeyer.

Adam

Premix in a different container and then pour in.

I had flasks years ago, broke an expensive one and decided against them going forward. I now boil in a regular sauce pot, just about 5 minutes, and then pour into one of my round cambro containers and allow it to cool in there using running cold water/ice bath in the sink. No chance of plastic or metal shattering.

Adam

• Add DME to flask to desired weight through funnel. NO WATER. I use a chopstick to ecourage it in, simple.
  • Add water to desired volume
  • Add stir bar, yeast nutrient (pinch if desired) and 1 drop of fermcap S.
  • Swirl it all together. (To test how well Fermcap works swirl first and then add 1 drop. Foam defoams rapidly in seconds)
  • On to the heat and swirl ocasionally to mix
  • Bring to a boil
  • Boil for 1 minute
  • Off the heat into the cold sink of water.
  • Do other things
  • When cool, pitch yeast.

Unrelated to the OP's question. Making a starter in a flask is hassle free task using a gas stove. It requires minimal oversight. I have no experience making one on an electric stove.

attachment.php

Making one when I get home today for the weekend's brew using this simple method.

Adam

I pour the DME into a dry flask, thru a dry funnel. Still need something long and narrow to regularly unplug the funnel. I then add hot water to the flask, and swirl like crazy to dissolve the DME as much as possible. Then I'll put it on the stir plate for 1/2 hr +/-.

Edit: I see Gavin beat me to it.

Just make SURE the DME is in solution and not caked on the bottom of the flask or you might have a disaster. In the following photo, the large one is a 4000ml, the smaller one 2000ml, and they both broke (small one let loose about 10 seconds after this pic - note diagonal crack on back of it). Youch.

BTW, I'm certain the large one is borosilicate, not sure about the smaller one. Large one has been on that stove 100 times, small one 10ish. Bad night.

_mg_1213-66753.jpg

Ouch! With my luck the wife would walk in 10 seconds after the disaster happened or while I was trying to clean it up... We upgraded our kitchen to an Induction stove top last year, so to boil in a flask I have to put the flask in a induction ready pot. It works though.

Agreed that fermcap is a must. I remove the metal rack from inside the stove and put it on top of the electric burner. Then the flask goes on top of the rack to give it a little airgap. I was going to buy one of those fancy metal pieces made for this purpose but the rack does just fine. I still get slightly paranoid especially when putting the hot flask in a cold water bath in the sink to cool.

Latest posts

Back