Erlenmeyer flask necessary for a stir plate starter? Why not use any?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main reason is I found a beaker for about $20 less. But I'm wondering if decanting is more difficult with the straight sides.

Boiling would also seem to be less volcanic in that shape (I use fermcap but still baby those 2l boils)

Are you concerned about keping the starter sanitary during the propagation of the yeast with such a wide mouthed vessel. That's a good price on the beaker though. Is it borosilicate?

You're right, its just a matter of preference, I imagine overpitching is better suited for lagers say, but like you said even that can be compensated via mashing.

Lagers are a different beast. In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to overpitch a lager, since they require so a huge amount of yeast to begin with.

A Fizz-X!? I thought that was for removing gas! Maybe you just turned it upside down :p

It's technically sold as a "Wine de-gassing rod" for knocking dissolved CO2 out of a batch of wine, but all it really does is agitate liquid. I attach it to my drill and run it for a minute or two, working up as much foam as possible in the carboy before pitching the yeast.

so how long do you aerate the wort for? Until primary has more-or-less finished?

No, no, of course not - only for a minute or two on brew day, right before I pitch the yeast. After you've pitched the yeast, you should do your best to avoid exposing your beer to any additional oxygen.

Are you concerned about keping the starter sanitary during the propagation of the yeast with such a wide mouthed vessel. That's a good price on the beaker though. Is it borosilicate?

More if anyone has had issues heating/chilling

I found this, while the flasks I've been finding have been $50+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006UKI65K/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29JIFH4ZXPNL8

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason is I found a beaker for about $20 less. But I'm wondering if decanting is more difficult with the straight sides.

Boiling would also seem to be less volcanic in that shape (I use fermcap but still baby those 2l boils)

I had the same thing, it was a 5ltr beaker for £30 or a 5ltr flask for £48, I just thought to myself if I'm going to spent £30+ on a piece of equipment I might as well go all the way and get the best I can as it'll be worth it in the end.

The whole volcanic thing I'm sure you'll become accustomed to. I liked the idea of having more expose to oxygen with the beaker but having a flask with a foam stopper would be more ideal.

Back