Equipment storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojnet

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread. I've just been kicked out of the kitchen (for reasons, I'm sure, are rather common) and am making the transition to outdoor brewing. Since I have a relatively empty shed, I'd like to move the whole operation out of the house, including the storage of carboys, fermentors, etc.

Unfortunately, the shed doesn't have insulation or hook-ups. Would empty glass carboys withstand freezing temperatures in the winter. What about more delicate instruments, like hydrometers, etc?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Welcome to the club, The Brew Shed Club!!

Sounds like you have a project on your hands. I recommend insulating the shed and running some electricity out there for a space heater in the winter.

Most of your stuff will survive out there in the winter if it is completely dry.

The problem I see with carboys and other glass items is shock temperature changes. Are you going to brew out there as well?

Thanks for your reply! Well, the original plan was to set up the equipment outside on brewing days, and keep everything in the shed when not in use. Is this set up very common? Am I just putting off the inevitable move to a fully outfitted shed for indoor brewing, complete with sink, gas, fridge, etc.?

You aren't planning on fermenting out there are you? Otherwise I would not worry about empty glass being out in the cold as long as you don't pour hot wort or something right into them.

No, I'm not planning on fermenting out there -- I've managed to keep a few square feet in the house to maintain constant temperature. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks for your reply! Well, the original plan was to set up the equipment outside on brewing days, and keep everything in the shed when not in use. Is this set up very common?

Yes, it's quite common. Many folks here on the board are building custom Brewhaus's for brewing, fermenting, & drinking, & Poker night.

Here's one example. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62134

Wow! That looks amazing. I'm going to insulate the shed this weekend and look into running the electrical. After that, I can't imagine the temperature fluctuating so much that it would shock the glass.

But now I'm inspired!

Yes, it's quite common. Many folks here on the board are building custom Brewhaus's for brewing, fermenting, & drinking, & Poker night.

Here's one example. :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62134

Many folks.... or just Ed. Just had to plug your BrewHaus didn't you! haha

But like Ed said, it seems rather common. I am in the process of re-organizing the shed to store my burner,and keggles at least since my workbench got taken over once I built the keggles.

I just got a shed this past fall and was able to get my garage back. Now she took it over with the car (we are having a baby in about a month) so now I need to look into another shed! This forum is putting me into dept....
brew shed should fall right in line after pump, ferm.cabinet, keezer/kegerator, brewstand, and of course more carboys along the way.

Back