Equipment Sanitation Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdrop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have run into a problem, and I think it must be a sanitation problem. About 6 months ago I brewed a "voodoo Dixie black lager" and everything looked good come bottling day. After 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning, I cracked one open and tried it and it was awful. The best way to describe the taste is spoiled or cultured tea. I continued to age in the bottle hoping the taste would smooth out, but it only got worse. The recipe had rice in it, which I have never worked with, so I decided that must be the problem and would avoid recipes with rice until I could research it a little. I have brewed a few batches since, and ran into no problems. I just cracked open a bottle of Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale that I bottled a month ago and BOOM.....spoiled tea.

Here is the thing. I don't know if it is infection, but there was no visible infection. Everything looked good and tasted good at bottling.

If it is a sanitation issue, I don't think it is any of my equipment as I have used it on several other batches with no problems.

I did just get a Mycoderma Infection in my watermelon wine, but I am not sure if it is the same primary bucket or not as I am at work and my SWMBO did the watermelon wine. plus...the mycoderma infection in the wine is showing visible signs, neither of the beers did.

Has anyone else had similar problems in the past or know what this may be?

How can I prevent it. I use StarSan on everything, and have always been as careful I can with sanitation. I really do not want to have to dump another batch.

Back