Equipment questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkeleybrew

Reaction score
I was just curious the proper way of using some brewing instruments.

1) The racking cane-- I'm not even really clear how this is used in the siphoning process, why can't you just use the siphon?

2) The bottle filler-- I have a spring loaded filler, and when practicing bottling, I'm experiencing some leaks, more so from the connections at the siphon and bottle filler.

3) Also, what's the best way to siphon, without getting a mouthful, not that is necessarily a bad thing if it's beer! One type that I've received is to take a swig of brandy right before to keep everything sanitary. So I look forward to some siphoning.

Any tips?

Thanks

haha. i think question one and three can be answered together. a clever way to use racking canes to siphon is to get a carboy cap(s), you only need one if going from kettle to primary, but two if you are going from primary to secondary. this is assuming you are using a carboy for your primary. the carboy caps have two output posts. put the racking canes through the center one, and you can either create pressure or create a vacuum - creating a vacuum is generally safer - if you create a vacuum, you go to the receiving end, and take a breath while latched to the carboy cap. this should initiate the siphon.

if your primary is a bucket, i would say it is easier to use an auto-siphon sold at pretty much any hbs.

as for question 2 - stuff the bottle filler deeper into the tube to see if that fixes it, if not, try clamps. also, make sure the tubing is the correct diameter. also with the filler, make sure the end piece is on snug. rotate it a bit just to make sure.

hope this helps.

First off, siphoning used to be the most aggravating aspect of homebrewing to me. When something is hard, I usually find an easier way of doing it and fast. I have a couple tips for you.

If you insist on using the racking cane (it's helpful to allow control of where you are siphoning from and allow you to leave the yeast-overs at the bottom of your fermenting vessles.

***The cane method:
Place the racking cane in the fermenter or vessel of origin and clip to side.
Feed entire siphon hose into fermenting vessle that contains liquid to transfer(beer, sanitizer, etc.)
Clamp, pinch, or tightly cover one end of siphon hose while removing the length from the fermenter and droping it in the destinatation vessel.
Attach clamped end of tube to racking cane and release.
Voila, siphon with no mouth bacteria on it.

If this sounds like a pain, then go out and buy an Auto Siphon and forget about it.

Hope this helps!

:mug:

Huh, well thank you guys very much. However, one more question. My racking cane has a black knob at the end, what is that for? Keeping the yeast out? I will defintely try to test these methods out and see what I can make work. Maybe the amount of brandy you have is correlated to the effectiveness of your siphoning technique. Also, this question is for Spyk'd, but if i am using a carboy, how do I entirely submerge the siphoning hose without dropping it in and clamping one end?

definitely use the knob. it keeps trub from being siphoned out with the stuff you want.

You may end up with about three or four inches of air, a couple in the cane and a couple in the hose, but the siphon will still grab. In other words, submerge as much of each as you can without dropping either inside the carboy and then attached and you're good. It also helps to have a good length of hose, like six feet and a good drop, counter to floor, to facilitate this. Go try it!

It WILL work, trust me, I used that method FAR longer than I should have!

The method I prefer is to attach cane to hose and keep both ends level. Fill the hose with hot water from the tap until both are full. Put thumb over the end of the hose and put racking cane in fermenter. You will need to have the secondary below the level of the Primary. Take the hose and place in a quart jar, beer glass etc and siphon all the water out of the hose. When the beer starts, put thumb over hose and move it to the secondary and watch the magic happen!:ban: This method is much more sanitary than using your mouth and is really fairly easy. Practice a couple of times with a carboy and water you will have it down forever!;)

Sneaky, first off, good option for manual siphoning. Second, I love your handle.

Oh that I would have 'thunk' of it first.

Nice job man!

:cross:

Sneakysnitch, why do you use hot water? I was actually messing around trying to figure out a good siphoning method and I kinda figured out what you were talking about. Except I attached the hose to the cane, then sucked water into the hose, lifted the hose above the cane, which forced water down to the cane and the hose, since there is more volume in the hose it created water in both the hose and the cane, then I put my thumb at the end of the hose. Then you can put the hose into the secondary, siphoning occuring. Doesn't sound as sanitary as what sneakysnitch was talking about though.

Hah! Use my method or just buy an auto siphon. Did you try mine out? Hmm? It works like a champ...

:p

berkeleybrew said:
Sneakysnitch, why do you use hot water? I was actually messing around trying to figure out a good siphoning method and I kinda figured out what you were talking about. Except I attached the hose to the cane, then sucked water into the hose, lifted the hose above the cane, which forced water down to the cane and the hose, since there is more volume in the hose it created water in both the hose and the cane, then I put my thumb at the end of the hose. Then you can put the hose into the secondary, siphoning occuring. Doesn't sound as sanitary as what sneakysnitch was talking about though.

I use hot water since it has been in your hot water tank for several hours and is by and large sanitary and free of chlorine.

If you suck water in, I'm guessing you are using your mouth...bad, bad bad.

If you just fill the hose and cane from the tap, it will create the vacuum you need.

The best purchase I ever made was an autosiphon. One pump and your in business. Plus it is easy to clean and less of a chance of conamination.

Back