Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the StL Post recap of last night's game:

"The Blues scored on the power play, with Schenn tipping in a shot by Colton Parayko. Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, Jori Lehtera has taken seven shots on goal this season."

(Schenn and Lehtera crossed directions in an off season trade. At present, Schenn has 10 goals and 20 assists.)

Wings continue to gain 1 point per game, effectively putting them in a holding pattern in the standings. This isn't ideal, but they are playing better than last year at least. Just have to find a way to not puck it up in OT.

Schenn continues to make this trade (regardless of the two first round picks we gave up too) look like an insane deal so far. Schenn has more goals than Lehtera has taken shots this season i think.

Wings continue to gain 1 point per game, effectively putting them in a holding pattern in the standings. This isn't ideal, but they are playing better than last year at least. Just have to find a way to not puck it up in OT.

Beats gaining 0 points at least though.

Schenn continues to make this trade (regardless of the two first round picks we gave up too) look like an insane deal so far. Schenn has more goals than Lehtera has taken shots this season i think.

Beats gaining 0 points at least though.

Like last night? I didn't see the game due to me doing a puzzle with my daughter, but from what I read it sounded like Wings had plenty of chances, but not much going in. I guess that's the way it is in the NHL sometimes. Just gotta keep working hard to get the chances and eventually they will go in.

Habs hung 10 on the Wings last night...

... 22 years to the day that Detroit piled up 11 on the Canadiens, in what would turn out to be Patrick Roy's last game in a Montreal uniform.

sigh blues are 4-5-1 in the last 10 games... barf. well knew that insane start couldnt last forever. But jesus 4-5 ugh. get the **** together dudes.

Blackhawks actually have a decent winning streak going. Still, they're probably not going father than a wild card spot and a first round exit during the playoffs this year. Penguins may actually miss the playoffs if they can't figure out their scoring and goalie issues, not that I'm upset by that at all, but it's just always a little weird when a cup-winning team misses the following year's playoffs.

Leafs finally found their scoring touch again. Goals were getting scarce over the past few games...

Their playoff chances are bolstered by the fact that they're a good team in a weak division. Tampa is obviously the class of the Atlantic, but after them? Habs live or die on Price (especially now with Weber out indefinitely). Boston is decent. Detroit is in transition. Ottawa should be good, but aren't. Florida got fleeced in the expansion draft and never replaced that lost scoring. Buffalo have little talent outside of Eichel and Kane... and Kane will likely not be around after the trade deadline.

Leafs finally found their scoring touch again. Goals were getting scarce over the past few games...

Their playoff chances are bolstered by the fact that they're a good team in a weak division. Tampa is obviously the class of the Atlantic, but after them? Habs live or die on Price (especially now with Weber out indefinitely). Boston is decent. Detroit is in transition. Ottawa should be good, but aren't. Florida got fleeced in the expansion draft and never replaced that lost scoring. Buffalo have little talent outside of Eichel and Kane... and Kane will likely not be around after the trade deadline.

Ottawa is f'n killing me. Erik's slump, owner is a complete idiot and the city is mainly government workers meaning less corporate sales (typically the main driver in season ticket sales)
Add together, bad owner, mediocre product, and unsupportive fan base and it doesn't look good for the future

Ottawa is f'n killing me. Erik's slump, owner is a complete idiot and the city is mainly government workers meaning less corporate sales (typically the main driver in season ticket sales)
Add together, bad owner, mediocre product, and unsupportive fan base and it doesn't look good for the future
Plus Duchene hasn't exactly been lighting it up since he came over from the Avs. Turris got better after landing in Nashville, which is just salt in the wound right now.

I wouldn't listen too much to Melnyk... he starts whining the same tune about this time every year.

A though I do agree with your points above...

I wouldn't listen too much to Melnyk... he starts whining the same tune about this time every year.

A though I do agree with your points above...

As much as I do wish he'd be a quiet owner, I do believe him a bit. I do believe he has financial issues and is using the time as a profit generator unfortunately as most owners know, the ones that are profitable are either legacy teams (leafs, yankees cowboys etc) or their has been significant monetary investment. Neither have happened in Ottawa. It looks to be changing a bit, but majority of the fans in the area are leaf or habs fans. The rest are Bruins. Only Sens fans are the odd flip overs and the younger generation.
I use to live in Pembroke (an our and a half north west of Ottawa) and all my friends were habs, leafs or bruins fans as kids typically cheer for the same team as their father. With my dad living in Edmonton (parents divorced) I basically was neutral and picked the sens because I had no cable and they were the only thing on in those great 14 win seasons. My point is, you're not converting those who have already picked a team or it will be a very low conversion. You literally have to wait for your fans to be born and hope the product and marketing makes them choose the sens.
Your fans are roughly 20-30 years from being able to buy tickets as well when the team was launched. Add in the first few season were crap, a few dud first round picks, getting owned by the leafs in every playoff series, lack of marketing, and now a ton of instability( melnyk and only making the playoffs every other year)
IMO they need a strong minimum 5 year game plan and its going to be costly. Quit screwing around with Karlsson and pay the main as he's exciting and a great player to build a team around. Spend to the cap as right now they are solely relying on the prospects (which are doing a great job on) but they need more. I like the core group of guys right now but they need more. losing Methot was a lot bigger than people realize on the back end. Oduya is ok but picked up on the cheap and is declining and in no way replaces Methot. Get an exiting product out there that makes the playoffs more often than not and then start ramping up the marking. Nothing is more exiting than playoff hockey and thats easy to build on.
This season is unfortunately going to get worse if nothing is done. Whats worse than missing the playoffs? trying to sell tickets in the second half knowing your team has little to no chance. that will also bleed into next years ticket sales.

sigh blues are 4-5-1 in the last 10 games... barf. well knew that insane start couldnt last forever. But jesus 4-5 ugh. get the poopy together dudes.

I keep thinking the same thing about the lightning, but they keep rolling. Out of control in the stats now, but it just can't keep going that way. goal diff is +46 right now.

Re: Leafs @ Rangers...

Of all people to leave wide open... like... no one other than Lunk within 10 feet of him style open.... you choose Matthews.

Seriously... anyone else on the roster with the exception of Van Riemsdyk... Matthews.

Pretty excited about the Wings game tonight. Haven't got to see them much lately, and even though they are a young and mediocre team right now, they have potential and you never know how they are going to perform against any other team.

And it's a good excuse to drink beer and yell at the TV as if they can actually hear you.

Going to my first ever hockey game tomorrow night, VGK @ STL.

Never really been a big fan but ever since the NFL died that agonizing death I've had the time to pick up another sport.

Holy cow, how weak was that follow-up attempt? Should have been bank! Sheesh.

btw, the NFL is alive and kicking where it actually matters...

Cheers! :D

Going to my first ever hockey game tomorrow night, VGK @ STL.

Never really been a big fan but ever since the NFL died that agonizing death I've had the time to pick up another sport.
be a good one... Perrons first game back in town (he got taken by the knights). Should get you right in the feels about how we treat former players.

Holy cow, how weak was that follow-up attempt? Should have been bank! Sheesh.

btw, the NFL is alive and kicking where it actually matters...

Cheers! :D

I mean the puck was bouncing and it wasnt like the guy was sitting still so he could take a few whacks at it. he was at full speed to boot.

Yes, they are indeed. And they're running a pretty good game points streak right now.
If they can stay healthy there's no telling how far they'll go this year...

Cheers!

Wings blew it in OT last night. At least Mrazek looked good in net, even if he didn't get a third shutout in a row. His season started very poorly.

And it looks like we can look forward to beating up on the Blackhawks soon. It will be nice to get a tap-in game.

Gotta suck being the guy who takes a five minute major when you're up 3, only to find yourself down 1 when the penalty is over.

At least he got tossed too, so he didn't have to sit in the box and watch it all unfold. :D

Gotta suck being the guy who takes a five minute major when you're up 3, only to find yourself down 1 when the penalty is over.

At least he got tossed too, so he didn't have to sit in the box and watch it all unfold. :D
Unbelievable. They tied it up, then lost in OT, which is one of the few consistents the Wings have this season.

I'm almost as bad as that, because I turned the game off when the Isles were down 3-0.
I watched a show about Tupac and Biggy's murders. (I'm interested in murder, not rap)
I found out later about the two comebacks. I'll watch the replay, but it's not the same.

Just think, if the league got it's shvt together and seriously reduced the size of the goalie's pads there would be a lot more games like this one.

Missed a good game. I ended up watching the Wings. Tie game with about a minute left and some idiot ices the puck for no good reason, which I instantly realized would give them the loss.

It did.

That is the kind of mistake that the Wings seem unable to recover from this season.

Weak.

Back