Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i doubt it.. the zebras will even things all up.... we still got some bad games to get through too.
i think columbus is gonna keep philly out.

I have no real idea what's going on outside the Eastern Conference (other than there seems to be quite a few formidable teams in the West) but da Brunes are on a major roll of late. Hoping they can string this out well into June...

Cheers! ("June Hockey". I still think it's insane...)

Amazing the Red Wings actually won an important game. Although now all the games are important. I am also glad to see Nyquist tearing it up. To think he started the year in Grand Rapids due to stupid signings like Cleary.

How many more players are left on the roster? If they lose a player a game like they have been, how long til they don't have enough players left to field a team??

It was good to see about Nyquist, and I hope Franzen can keep his hot streak going some more.

They are playing some minor league guys even I don't know!

I have gone to all but about 5 of the Griffin's home games this year so it has been fun to see them get pulled up to the wings. I think there are more people on the Red Wings from last years Calder Cup team than on the Griffins.

It was a fun game to watch. No injuries but Legwand with the stupid crap towards the end of the game.

Yeah, he probably deserves a fine or something. Maybe almost as much as Jokinen for his blatant cross checks.

The spear poke is definitely illegal and I'm not defending it, but I seriously doubt that little love tap did any actual harm. Did you see the way that Penguin sprawled himself out on the ice after Bertuzzi barely bumped him? Disgusting.

Anyway, it was a fun and interesting game all around. Lots of good hockey action.

Boston's been on an extended roll of late, with only the shootout loss to Montreal interrupting a 15 game win streak. First to qualify for the playoffs, first to lock up a Division, leading the league in points, they're definitely peaking at the right time of the season. Pretty happy about the team defense, and their goal differential is out of sight.

Hopefully everyone stays healthy while the regular schedule plays out...

Cheers!

Friggin' Wild have been oh so soft lately. I had written them off, when they actually came out and dominated the third in Phoenix to score three and take a huge 2 pts. Maybe they hold off Dallas, but if we have to face St Louis in the first round, we're cooked. We'd have a chance against Anaheim at least.

Sucks that Harding had a setback with his MS. He gave the team such a boost with his goal tending in the first half of the year.

I would like to see Carlyle out. That, and a good top-pairing stay-at-home defensive partner for Phaneuf are probably the two things I'd like to see most.

Wings pound another nail in the Leafs coffin. Are they officially out of it yet?

Negatory.

It's unlikely we'll make it, but if we somehow manage to do so it will probably be by displacing Columbus rather than the Wings...

Negatory.

It's unlikely we'll make it, but if we somehow manage to do so it will probably be by displacing Columbus rather than the Wings...

Yes after Saturday's regulation loss it was clear the Wings would not be caught by Toronto for a wildcard spot, and really all hope lies on that 8th place finish.

Homercidal can only access homebrewtalk, and no websites which show NHL standings apparently.

But - Bernier gets injured last night, so in comes Reimer. A guy who's been vilified recently by some vocal less-than-intelligent fans. They even sent his wife hateful messages FFS. Anyway as he's skating to the net, the crowd gives him a standing O, then proceeds to chant his name during the ensuing penalty kill. Gave me the shivers.

Toronto has THE best fans in the world - hands down.

Yes after Saturday's regulation loss it was clear the Wings would not be caught by Toronto for a wildcard spot, and really all hope lies on that 8th place finish.

Homercidal can only access homebrewtalk, and no websites which show NHL standings apparently.

But - Bernier gets injured last night, so in comes Reimer. A guy who's been vilified recently by some vocal less-than-intelligent fans. They even sent his wife hateful messages FFS. Anyway as he's skating to the net, the crowd gives him a standing O, then proceeds to chant his name during the ensuing penalty kill. Gave me the shivers.

Toronto has THE best fans in the world - hands down their pants.

FTFY.

Yes, I check the standings every day now, but I haven't actually performed the math on the blue jackets or leafs. With the recent 2 wins, Toronto is looking pretty good again.

With Datsyuk coming back tonight, I hope Detroit can string a few more wins and clinch. But it will probably come down to the last 2 games.

FTFY.

Yes, I check the standings every day now, but I haven't actually performed the math on the blue jackets or leafs. With the recent 2 wins, Toronto is looking pretty good again.

With Datsyuk coming back tonight, I hope Detroit can string a few more wins and clinch. But it will probably come down to the last 2 games.

Goose is cooked. Toronto boos their team off the ice on Saturday, and rightly so. What a bunch of floundering idiots.

What's the good storyline this playoffs? Anything interesting? Lets go Red Wings, I guess?

My condolences Toronto fans. Passionate group of fans you are.

Wild are crankin it back up after such a soft stretch in March. Bryz has a two game + shutout streak going. Even got taunted by the Winnipeg fans last night (Il-ya, Il-ya) and gave a little back. He's still unbeaten in regulation, great pick up C-Fletch. D has suddenly become our strength. I hope they can keep that attitude heading into the playoffs.

I think the Blues are tanking on purpose to likely get the #7 Wild in round 1. And they would be smart to do so. We need Anaheim to lose or St Louis to get back to winning. No chance in St Louis where the Wild haven't won since 2007 (eeek!)

In an odd way, I'm kind of glad Toronto failed to hang on to the last few games in order to make the playoffs. I think it forces management to take this team's issues much more seriously than they would had they ended up just scraping by.

And I do actually have faith in Tim Leiweke to steer this team on the right course to becoming an actual contender with a bit of time.

Toronto has been rebuilding for years. What makes this year's defeat any different for them than the past decades?

Frankly, I thought Carlyle was going to help get them over the hump and have them competing for the cup in a few years.

Toronto has been rebuilding for years. What makes this year's defeat any different for them than the past decades?

Frankly, I thought Carlyle was going to help get them over the hump and have them competing for the cup in a few years.

Sigh... another history lesson needs to get doled out.

1993 - conf. finals - team was awesome.
1994 - conf. finals - team was still awesome.
1995 - out first round
1996 - out first round
1997 - no playoffs
1998 - no playoffs
1999 - conf. finals - team good again.
2000 - out 2nd round (vs. devils)
2001 - out 2nd round (vs. devils again)
2002 - conf. finals - team good (still...)
2003 - out first round
2004 - out second round
2005 - LOCKOUT
2006-today - Terrible.

The difference is there is now a salary cap. The Leafs can no longer trade away picks for aging veterans, and out-spend their shortcomings to acquire talent. Since Burke was hired 5 years ago, we've seen a much-needed shift in to building a team with youth and development which has not happened here.... ever.
At the start of this season we all had the Leafs pegged at finishing 7th-10th, and it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen. The difference is there is now a mentality that youth will not be moved out for older players, and the Marlies are actually being used to develop those important bottom-6 forward and bottom-4 defence positions. The fruits of Burke's labour are about to be realized as just now are those players starting to be ready to be promoted.

So you see, it's differnet than "Past Decades" because the past decades were actually good times to be a Leafs fan. THIS 10-year stretch is the only ****ty one in 30 years. All we can do I guess is hope it doesn't last as long as the "Dead Wings" era did, when Detroit only made the playoffs twice in 17 years.

Hopefully next season we see Nonis focus on filling the roster with a few of these young prospects, and somehow clear some room to acquire a solid #2D. It is different this time because he has come out and said straight up "we will not sacrifice youth."

Sorry, I wasn't interpreted as I intended. I meant, the Leafs have been pretty bad for years. (like the past decade). And my question about this year's defeat vs. past decades was in reference to the fans being disappointed. It seems like a continuing thing, eve if they make the playoffs and fight for the cup.

I actually expect they will continue to improve. They need to either trust the coach and play his style because they can win that way, or find a coach that fits the players he has to work with. That may very well be happening.

Out of necessity Detroit has gone from buying skilled veterans and stacking the deck, to finding and conditioning players from the lower drafts and elsewhere. It's still working, but you can see the general decline in points and wins due to the salary cap. Thankfully the Wings management and scouts have done very well, or Detroit may very well have been outside looking in the past couple of years.

I think Leafs fans need to be patient and hope the team can work in a couple of good young players who are willing to play Carlyle's way. I think he's a pretty decent coach and can take a dedicated, hardworking and somewhat skilled team deep into the playoffs. They aren't that far from it (For that matter, with the league parity these days, most teams aren't either.)

Oh - and there's also Tim Lieweke at the helm now, which is actually looking pretty awesome. He just comes across as a guy who "gets it" and is capable of turning this ship around.

Kessel/JVR/Reilly/Phaneuf is still a solid core to build around. Much of the problems this year lied with a crappy bottom 6, and just plain bad luck due to injuries (All 3 top Centres at the same time, Bolland for 60 games, Bernier) and suspensions (Clarkson never recovered from that ****ty start).

Oh - and there's also Tim Lieweke at the helm now, which is actually looking pretty awesome. He just comes across as a guy who "gets it" and is capable of turning this ship around.

Kessel/JVR/Reilly/Phaneuf is still a solid core to build around. Much of the problems this year lied with a crappy bottom 6, and just plain bad luck due to injuries (All 3 top Centres at the same time, Bolland for 60 games, Bernier) and suspensions (Clarkson never recovered from that ****ty start).

I agree. I see a lot of hate from the fans for those guy and the defense in general, but I think they are smart and talented players. Maybe with a couple of good picks and coming back from this big letdown, they will be in better shape to make it into the playoffs next year.

I know Detroit was looking pretty bad with all of the injuries piling on. They had more Griffins Players on the team at one point than Red Wings players! It's really a surprise to see the young kids picking up the slack to (hopefully) carry them into the playoffs.

Only one point to go and a couple of good teams to play to get it...

Frickin' Blues. Getting ready for the playoffs with their worst 10 game stretch of the season. I seems they've lost their will to compete.

Frickin' Blues. Getting ready for the playoffs with their worst 10 game stretch of the season. I seems they've lost their will to compete.

It's ok, they're just coasting. The Bruins have taken an edge off their game since they clinched a top seed spot. It happens...

Cheers!

I agree. I see a lot of hate from the fans for those guy and the defense in general, but I think they are smart and talented players. Maybe with a couple of good picks and coming back from this big letdown, they will be in better shape to make it into the playoffs next year.

I know Detroit was looking pretty bad with all of the injuries piling on. They had more Griffins Players on the team at one point than Red Wings players! It's really a surprise to see the young kids picking up the slack to (hopefully) carry them into the playoffs.

Only one point to go and a couple of good teams to play to get it...

Thing with DET though is when they need to call up guys from the A they are for the most part all pretty old and well-seasoned - it's part of a solid development program: make your picks, and then KEEP the players. Novel concept that the Leafs have only been doing now for 4 years, and we are about to see if it'll start to pay off.

Now they're looking to hire Shanahan in some capacity. Leafs new way to operate is to just get as Red Wings as possible. Hey - I'll take it.

Some of our guys are not that old, but yes, a lot of them have a few years of AHL experience or similar. I honestly see good things from Toronto in the next couple of years. A lot of teams are still working towards having that one great season and if it doesn't work out they are SOL for the next couple.

The league parity is a killer. I like the competitiveness, but it makes picking which teams will do well in any given season really tough.

The Wings' streak is pretty impressive, but if you look back at the Montreal glory years, it's nothing. Those guys were unbelievable! League expansion, salary cap, etc. have made it almost impossible to have a dynasty of that type anymore.

Some of our guys are not that old, but yes, a lot of them have a few years of AHL experience or similar. I honestly see good things from Toronto in the next couple of years. A lot of teams are still working towards having that one great season and if it doesn't work out they are SOL for the next couple.

The league parity is a killer. I like the competitiveness, but it makes picking which teams will do well in any given season really tough.

The Wings' streak is pretty impressive, but if you look back at the Montreal glory years, it's nothing. Those guys were unbelievable! League expansion, salary cap, etc. have made it almost impossible to have a dynasty of that type anymore.

Chicago and Boston though - they seem to know what they're doing. They've got their core of 4-5 really good players, and as the lesser-quality ones become better, they jettison them for picks/prospects and then promote from within. It's like magic.

Chicago and Boston though - they seem to know what they're doing. They've got their core of 4-5 really good players, and as the lesser-quality ones become better, they jettison them for picks/prospects and then promote from within. It's like magic.

Yes. A couple of teams are using that model as well. It might serve them well. It could backfire if they aren't able to make good picks, or it might only cost them more money.

A lot has to do with the players after they reach the NHL level. Even players who are quite good at the AHL level, playing with a lot of younger guys, sometimes don't mesh with the culture of the team at the NHL level. Or they might need a season or two to adjust.

I'm looking forward to Toronto and Detroit going back to the old rivalry. I know every one is "pushing" it, and that might make it seem kind of "fake", but I think they will naturally get to the point where the fans all look forward to the two teams going at it.

Especially how closely matched in play they are now, I expect the players to gear up for each game. It will really happen when they meet up in the playoffs, or, as in the case of the infamous Avalanche rivalry, if one or two players starts some sht with the other team!

Now they're looking to hire Shanahan in some capacity. Leafs new way to operate is to just get as Red Wings as possible. Hey - I'll take it.

I read that yesterday too, and heard just now he's going to accept the position and will be resigning as director of player safety.

Tim Leiweke is definitely a guy that has me optimistic about the Leafs' future. I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to dislike him so much and even heavily criticized his Strombo interview. Though I disagree with the poster who thinks we need to be more patient with Carlyle. I've said he should be fired all season and only feel even more justified now that we're at the end of the season. Whatever his past successes may be, he's only demonstrated that he's little more than a relic and incapable of making impersonal decisions in the best interests of the team.

Back