Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, you mean Boston lost a game? Does that mean that New York is better now, considering they're 3 points up with only 1 more games played? ;)

It means that Boston is in a tougher division than the Rangers. Obviously the Senators, Sabres, Leafs, and Habs are better teams than the Flyers, Penguins, Devils, and Islanders the Rangers have to play. Obviously the Rangers feed on the bottom of the East in their weak, pathetic Atlantic division. So, obviously, clearly, Boston is the better team, even sitting lower in the standings.

They're just so balanced, and the other team should have 6 skaters, just like the cheating Canucks did today, so they have a chance to win and make things entertaining for the fans.

Ottawa is the only team that will be in the hunt after Washington plays the two games they're behind the Leafs and even that's a shocker that Ottawa is doing as well as they are. To compare, 4 of the 5 Atlantic teams are in the top 8. Boston is just so good, it's unreal, they're a dynasty in the 1.5 seasons they've been together!!! Give them the Cup right now and get it over with.

It means that Boston is in a tougher division than the Rangers. Obviously the Senators, Sabres, Leafs, and Habs are better teams than the Flyers, Penguins, Devils, and Islanders the Rangers have to play. Obviously the Rangers feed on the bottom of the East in their weak, pathetic Atlantic division. So, obviously, clearly, Boston is the better team, even sitting lower in the standings.

They're just so balanced, and the other team should have 6 skaters, just like the cheating Canucks did today, so they have a chance to win and make things entertaining for the fans.

Ottawa is the only team that will be in the hunt after Washington plays the two games they're behind the Leafs and even that's a shocker that Ottawa is doing as well as they are. To compare, 4 of the 5 Atlantic teams are in the top 8. Boston is just so good, it's unreal, they're a dynasty in the 1.5 seasons they've been together!!! Give them the Cup right now and get it over with.

I lol'ed. :ban:

Congratulations on this post from The Canada.

Without the union, you still have the players.

And if the league decides to act like it owns the players and the players leave and play elsewhere, you no longer have the league. You don't have to have a union to have the players, but you have to have the players to have a league. When the league and owners realize the game revolves around the fans paying to watch the PLAYERS, they'll get it.

I'm all for a fair and reasonable agreement where the owners make their money by taking the risk by investing into the players' salaries, the building, and all the other expenses that hopefully yield a profit, but the players have to understand that ticket prices are affected by their salaries and they're paid regardless of whether or not the owner turns a profit. It's not all about the players, and that's why there are the two sides of the deal. The union is necessary to look out for the players' side of the game. It's not a sweat shop, but what if the owners and league wanted to go to a 162 game season like baseball to have double the home games and double the ticket sales?

I lol'ed. :ban:

Congratulations on this post from The Canada.

By the way, it's a lower case "t" on the in the Canada. Canada doesn't rate a capitalized t.

And if the league decides to act like it owns the players and the players leave and play elsewhere, you no longer have the league. You don't have to have a union to have the players, but you have to have the players to have a league.

circular reasoning, my friend

Kicked the Flyers ass, the last time we played them...:D

StittsvilleJames said:
Florida player rep.
Pittsburgh player rep.

Where's the opinion of the Dallas player rep? I think I'll put about a gazillion dollars on him wanting change.

How about the Columbus player rep, Detroit player rep, and Nashville Player reps? LA? San Jose?

Teams in the East (mine included) are coddled in respect to travel. And not just travel, but time zones.

If I'm living and playing in Dallas, and playing half my games with a 2-hour time zone change, I'm not happy. If I was a fan of Detroit, I wouldn't want so many games starting at 10:00 or 10:30! It's absolutely ludicrous.

You are OK with the millionaire players having a union? Unions exist(ed) to protect workers from unreasonable and dangerous working conditions and unfair pay. Making 850,000 dollars a year to play 5 minutes a game, and being asked to fly around the country and spend 40% of your time on the road is not unreasonable working conditions.

We aren't talking about dangerous conditions in the coal mines with pennies an hour here. Unions as a whole are outmoded 19th century relics, unions for millionaires are ridiculous.

Donald Fehr almost killed baseball, now he's going to kill the NHL...

Man, good points. San Jose only plays 2 teams in their division in the same time zone.

You're basically saying that without the union there would be no premier players in the NHL. This is obviously false.

That's not at all what I said. Without the players, there would not be an NHL. That statement is not the same as saying the NHL's existence as a league is dependent upon the existence of a players' union.

That's not at all what I said. Without the players, there would not be an NHL. That statement is not the same as saying the NHL's existence as a league is dependent upon the existence of a players' union.

Are you serious or just looking for an argument? I gotta believe it's the latter...

Are you serious or just looking for an argument? I gotta believe it's the latter...

I'm saying the players can physically play the game without the existence of a union. The league cannot exist as a sport without the players on the ice. It doesn't matter. My point is this - as long as the owners/league management feel they can change the game without seeking the input, approval from, or even provide details of those changes to the players, there needs to be a players' union.

On a completely different note - Bryzgalov continues to be up and down, consistently inconsistent. :mad:

soft f'n goal after soft f'n goal. seems to be the pattern cory crawford has fallen into this year. very frustrating, the hawks need these 2 points and not by giving detroit a point in return. :mad:

I guess Danny "Killer" Briere took the day off and let Rinaldo do his fighting for him (and lost to my boy Konopka, I have to add...) :)
3 out of 4 points, not bad for a home and home!

Go Sens!! Keep on keepin on!

u mad kratzer? LOL

arturo7 said:
Nobody with a salary with of seven digits needs a union.

We'll agree to disagree. It's obvious you've never worked on a contract before where the employer thinks he has the ability to change/negate the terms of your contract without at least consulting you or seeking permission for something that's mutually agreeable.

The players are not property or pawns in a chess game. It's not fantasy hockey, they're real people with their own lives. The income level is irrelevant.

And that's the sole basis of your argument - they make millions to play a game, they don't need a union, we can do with them as we wish. It's owners who have the attitude/mentality you do that justify the need for a union.

There have been about 100 threads on this whole topic of unions.

My two cents... I don't think there is some law that forces pro athletes to be pro athletes. If they don't like the pay or working conditions, they should feel free to go and try any of 1,000 other jobs. I also don't think there is some magic law somewhere that says things have to be "fair".... 'cause if there was, Alex Rodriguez wouldn't make more than all of the teachers within a 100 mile radius of my house combined. Lastly... I never understand the whole "the players deserve XYZ". Why?? And why doesn't that translate into every other job on the planet? How come wait staff and cooks don't "deserve" a "significant portion of the money" from a restaurant? How come the folks who stock the shelves and run the cash registers don't "deserve" a "significant portion of hte money" from a grocery store??

I don't believe there are many professional players who have invested money in the business that is their team. On the other hand, owners have all spent money on not only the building, etc., but on the players themselves.

Most players make an outrageous amount compared to the average person. Because they are the best (or should be) and because people will continue to pay $$$$$ to watch them play.

There is no problem with the system that a good lockout or strike won't cure. I don't recall giving too squirts about the NBA lockout and nobody else I knew did either. Somehow it worked out.

I'm tired of both sides claiming some kind of injustice whenever there is a disagreement. Both sides can suck it.

There is no problem with the system that a good lockout or strike won't cure. I don't recall giving too squirts about the NBA lockout and nobody else I knew did either. Somehow it worked out.

I'm tired of both sides claiming some kind of injustice whenever there is a disagreement. Both sides can suck it.

You don't remember the lockout??? Both times, it sucked ass. You live in a cold climate - during hockey season there is literally nothing to do on Saturday nights other than watch hockey. It's dark, cold, and lonely out there!

But yes, when it comes to silly things like this, both sides can suck it.

You don't remember the lockout??? Both times, it sucked ass. You live in a cold climate - during hockey season there is literally nothing to do on Saturday nights other than watch hockey. It's dark, cold, and lonely out there!

But yes, when it comes to silly things like this, both sides can suck it.

I remember one of them sucked. Since then I discovered Ferris State Bulldog Hockey, and Grand Rapids Griffins hockey. Plus there is a rink or two in Big Rapids that I can go and skate on myself with the kids...

The only sport I'd not wish a lockout/strike on is the NHL.

I enjoy watching sports, but I'll find something else to do rather than watch millionaires argue about who has it worse. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, video games, netflix, brewing, masturbation... Not necessarily in order of preference.

See earlier post. By this logic, hotel maids would be millionaires.

No, wrong, completely wrong, erroneous on all charges! Hotel maids are a dime a dozen. The hotel chain can replace the maids and the night of rest doesn't change for the average traveler.

If you remove all the players and they go elsewhere to play, you know longer have a league to watch or at least the same quality of product on the ice, which is what drives a sports league, the players, not the beer/popcorn mongers in the stands.

The comparison would be if the hotels, the buildings, were all destroyed, you would not have a bedroom to rent on a nightly basis and as a result, your customers would book elsewhere. If the players aren't on the ice, or at least the best of the best, the fans will watch another sport or will go to another league.

If you remove all the players and they go elsewhere to play, you know longer have a league to watch or at least the same quality of product on the ice, which is what drives a sports league, the players, not the beer/popcorn mongers in the stands.

What??? You're getting more and more obtuse. I don't think anyone advocates getting rid of the players.

Also, if you only wanna watch the NHL, you're missing a ton of good hockey.

arturo7 said:
What??? You're getting more and more obtuse. I don't think anyone advocates getting rid of the players.

Pretty sure you're completely missing his point...

Not that I even agree with his overall argument, but the context part of your brain seems to be malfunctioning.

emjay said:
Pretty sure you're completely missing his point...

Not that I even agree with his overall argument, but the context part of your brain seems to be malfunctioning.

Unless I'm missing the point, he seems to believe that without the union there would be no elite players in the NHL. If this is not his stance, hopefully he will clarify.

Nother two points for the Rangers. Tough win but 2 points is 2 points.

On a side note. Gotta say, I love watchin 24/7 over and over. Especially the part were the Laviolette family takes their picture and instead of saying cheese, they say Rangers Suck!! Cracks me up everytime.....

Northjerzyg said:
Nother two points for the Rangers. Tough win but 2 points is 2 points.

On a side note. Gotta say, I love watchin 24/7 over and over. Especially the part were the Laviolette family takes their picture and instead of saying cheese, they say Rangers Suck!! Cracks me up everytime.....

I really want to see it. I should have been a dick and asked for an HBO trial for the month and then shut it off. Oh well. I'll find it online or something.

Flyers won last night as well, and a close one. I was pissed Comcast decided to air that silly basketball horse sh*t instead of the Flyers.

All I wanted to do after surgery was sit and watch the game and try not to fall asleep.

Did Toronto beat Buffalo last night? Wasn't sure if that was a dream or if hell actually froze over. Pretty sure if Toronto somehow wins IN Buffalo on Friday, the sun will explode.

I don't get much else for hockey on TV here. I wish junior and more collegiate hockey other than the frozen four were broadcast.

Unless I'm missing the point, he seems to believe that without the union there would be no elite players in the NHL. If this is not his stance, hopefully he will clarify.

It's not my stance. I'm saying the players are under contract, they work through a union to ensure they get their contracts upheld, a fair percentage of the revenue since the existence of the league and that revenue is based on their performance on the ice. If they choose to play else where, as in en masse, the league would be lacking the quality players that fans pay to see in NHL arenas across the two countries. If the owners and league management aren't going to even consider providing the players with details about schedule changes, travel changes, realignment, playoff format, etc, then they shouldn't be obligated to maintain the contracts they signed with their teams and can play elsewhere. If the majority of the league decided to take that position and play in the KHL, DEL, or elsewhere, I suspect the NHL would see a significant drop in attendance and revenue to watch replacement players fill those gaps.

Just like any other sports league, the existence of the league and the revenue created is because of the players on the field, nothing else. I'm not saying if the union were to go away, you'd be without a league of players. My point is that if the owners/league treat the players like property and playing pieces on a game board, the players do have the right to play elsewhere. The balance maintained between the league and the players is through the interaction of the league committee and the players' union. The individual players can't debate and compromise directly with the league on an individual basis, thus the existence of the players' union who performs that function as an elected official by the players.

Because of how we've seen the league and owners treat players over the last 20 years or so, the existence of a players' union is vital to ensure the players get a fair deal because they are the foundation of why the league exists in the first place.

Maybe my Percocet-altered posts have not been clear, hopefully, even though the Percocet is still present, this one makes more sense.

Back