Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toronto would have the best players in the league if they brought in replacements. Man, everyone and their uncle would show up to try to win a Cup here. The Habs would be pretty damn good, too.

Leafs would totally win though, since that particular season wouldn't "count" among the true hockey purists. Such is our luck.

arturo7 said:
Football is for drunken, brainless mouth breathers with a short attention span.

Meh. I'm not going to bother signing it, but I enjoy it largely for the tactical aspect. Yes, a big part of its fan base are hopeless rednecks, but that doesn't mean it's a bad sport. Hell, NFL Quarterbacks have a higher average IQ than any other position in any other professional sport, and for a team to even have a hope of succeeding requires more high-level strategic and tactical thinking. Without intending to be too hyperbolic, it can almost be like chess in motion, depending on how one watches it.

Hockey is by far my favorite sport, but that doesn't mean that I have to insult fans of others I genuinely don't like to watch - e.g. soccer, baseball, and especially basketball... the latter of which truly does require the attention span of an aborted goldfish fetus. Speaking of which, how a sport that is as fast paced as hockey requires a longer attention span than a game that has so much downtime between every play and takes so long just to move the ball to the other end of the field is beyond me.

The might as well just lay down some shag carpet and wood paneling on the nhl website given all the vintage content. Looks like an antique mall.

http://www.nhl.com/

It's from a time when they didn't strike or lockout every 7 years. This sucks.

Also the NFL wouldn't be 1/4 as popular as it is now if it weren't for the 100% focus on betting. That's all the sport is about - betting. Turn on the sports channels - they spend 20 minutes talking about who's going to win and if they will cover the spread. Then they sit around and talk about who to pick up in your fantasy pool for 10 minutes.

Hockey just seems more *pure*, if that makes any sense. As is baseball. There just isn't this obsession with betting and making money, rather an obsession with one's favourite team and the unity amongst fans.

paulster2626 said:
Hockey just seems more *pure*, if that makes any sense.

To me, it's about the grit required. Hockey is a rough and exhausting sport. So is football, no doubt, but those pansies can't even play more than once a week. 16 regular season games?!?! NHL teams can play twice that much in just the 4 grueling playoff series alone. :tank:

To me, it's about the grit required. Hockey is a rough and exhausting sport. So is football, no doubt, but those pansies can't even play more than once a week. 16 regular season games?!?! NHL teams can play twice that much in just the 4 grueling playoff series alone. :tank:

Hockey players must also play for a full 60 minutes divided up between the 23 of them on the bench.

Football players? They play a total of 12 actual ball-in-action minutes, and there's about 50 of them. Pansies.

Hockey players must also play for a full 60 minutes divided up between the 23 of them on the bench.

Football players? They play a total of 12 actual ball-in-action minutes, and there's about 50 of them. Pansies.

On top of that, average players play 10 minutes per game while some can play as many as 20. And worse, you have goaltenders spending three periods in a hot heavy suit while sharpshooters whip a 100mph slapshot at them.

The hockey press is reporting that The Great One is optimistic that the season will start in January.

Uhh..., how is that optimistic? Are they just trying to soften the blow?

The hockey press is reporting that The Great One is optimistic that the season will start in January.

Well I guess when many players are coming out saying that they can easily see the lockout lasting all year it is the optimistic view. Sounds like its just a pissing match with neither party wanting to lose. I wonder what kind of reception those NJ Senator's letter got from the two sides?

http://blog.northjersey.com/meadowlandsmatters/3685/nj-senators-to-nhl-end-the-lockout/

That letter was likely sorted to the round file. I don't think either side gives a flying bless about the "little people."

arturo7 said:

Here's what I'd love to see in place of the cancelled season. Allow the 16 players who have played the most years in the NHL to be team captains and they pick teams schoolyard-style. Give them two weeks to practice, then play 3 games a week between now and May. At the end of the season, play a tournament with rounds consisting of one game. One round overtime, shootout to follow if still tied. Losers play in a power's bracket. Championship round is best of five. Winners get hats and tee shirts that say "I survived the 2012 NHL lockout" and get a sponsorship deal with Arbys restaurants. Have the whole thing sponsored by unpopular fast food brands and Shamwow. Hire Gilbert Godfried and Betty White to commentate. Air it all on ESPN2. And if ice rinks can't be used for games then trade the ice skates for roller skates and play in parking lots.

How about we amend it to remove the shootout, add infinite rounds of overtime. Rounds are five minutes long and for between each round they need to have a beer chugging relay race. Teams can choose their own order but the whole team needs to participate. Chugging rules: at the whistle, first player from each team begins chugging a pint of beer. When a player finishes and sets down his cup, the next player must begin and so on. team which wins chug off starts with a 30 second power-play.

Luckily I live in a college town with a pretty good hockey team (Ferris State played Boston College in the finals last season). Guess I'll have to skip work and go to games to get my hockey fix.

Luckily I live in a college town with a pretty good hockey team (Ferris State played Boston College in the finals last season). Guess I'll have to skip work and go to games to get my hockey fix.

+1. Only thing missing is the beer stand.

Isn't the start of Bulldog Hockey right around the corner?

Michael Rosenberg writes on SI.com:
this is the very definition of failure of leadership and ownership and stewardship and everything-ship. Take a league trying to puck-handle its way back into the top level of sports leagues in this country and call off another partial or whole season? Outstanding business choices, boys! Why not just send obscenity-filled personal letters to all the fans you’ve been desperately trying to extract money from? It’s much simpler.

I totally agree. Despite record earnings for the league and infinitely more TV coverage in the US than before, the people in charge of the NHL and it's franchises are complete and utter morons. Starting with Bettman on down to each and every pseudo-businessman team owner. Not to mention the PA....
The league for expanding or moving teams into markets where they had to know that failure of the franchise was inevitable (Phoenix, Atlanta - which they may have fixed, Nashville, St. Pete, etc.).
The PA for crying over what amounts to ~3% of revenue. For blocking seemingly intelligent (I know that's a stretch of the term) restructuring of conferences. And for immediately tucking tail and becoming scabs in the Euro elites instead of insisting that the two sides continue to negotiate a new CBA.
Last, but not least in this, the owners for being greedy little f***s with pipe dreams on an NFL type league. $hit guys, hockey's not even "NFL popular" in Canada, get off it and pay your employees.

All that said, like most of us I'll get my hockey fix by watching some of the great amateur hockey here in MN until after this cr@p is over. And then, like most of us, I'll happily tune in to watch the return of my favorite sport being played by my favorite team in my favorite league. As much as it sucks, all we can do besides bitching is to bend over, flash and upside-down smile between out collective ankles and take it

I have no problem with the players playing elsewhere. It solidifies the point that the owners and league don't own the players and the NHL is based on the talent of the players and nothing more. We don't watch the NHL or go to games for the concessions or swag or giveaways, we go to watch the players.

The owners and league can sit around all self righteous like with their doors locked, but no games means no ticket sales, concessions, parking, and every other revenue producing sale.

I get the financial side, but at what point does damaging the integrity or reputation of the league and canceling seasons become less important than ideals and a few percentage points?

Players are going to make money playing anywhere they want, probably not NHL money for the most part, but they're still getting paid to play a game and not working some sh*t job like minor league baseball players do during the off season.

Honestly I'd love to see the NHL players play elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they'd manage to create a new league with better rules about everything and then we wouldn't have to worry about lockouts. The thing that I hate most is they had a seven year deal and just now things are "being done about it" (read "no season and no talks about anything that would make any progress toward starting a 2012/2013 season"). It just sucks the players had a ****ty representative last time, so the owners have a lot of leverage to begin with, because hey they can just have a lockout and get everything they wanted just like last time.

I didn't give a second thought to anyone playing overseas until I watched the KHL game last night on ESPN2 and Barry Melrose (I know, I know) started talking about how the low level guys can't go do that. The guys making league minimum (you know, the guys who actually depend on these paychecks) can't just get a job in Europe or Russia. They have to tough it out with no income coming in while the guys getting millions get paid slightly less millions during the lockout to play elesewhere. I actually agreed with Melrose, that's not solidarity in my eyes. Ovechkin doesn't care if the lockout lasts a year, he's got a job. By the way, did anyone see his goal last night? What was that crap?

Lastly, may we suggest you remove your hat for a moment of silence for the legendary Budd Lynch. You will be missed at the Joe. RIP.

I didn't give a second thought to anyone playing overseas until I watched the KHL game last night on ESPN2 and Barry Melrose (I know, I know) started talking about how the low level guys can't go do that. The guys making league minimum (you know, the guys who actually depend on these paychecks) can't just get a job in Europe or Russia. They have to tough it out with no income coming in while the guys getting millions get paid slightly less millions during the lockout to play elesewhere. I actually agreed with Melrose, that's not solidarity in my eyes. Ovechkin doesn't care if the lockout lasts a year, he's got a job. By the way, did anyone see his goal last night? What was that crap?

rookies are the only ones i feel bad for.. $525,000 league minimum? you get that for one year and can't afford another year with no paycheck, you have problems

I'm so sick of hearing about:

Hockey Related Revenue
Core Economic Issues
How the owners locked out the players.
How the players just want to play.
How xxx amount of money has now been "lost".

I swear I'm at the point where if I'm watching sportscentre or whatever and they start talking lockout, I change the goddamn channel. I honestly don't know if I'll feel the same about hockey when all this is over.

Since there's no pro hockey worth talking about ... anyone else here play ? I had a roller game last night ... my team didn't have subs, they had a full bench with like 10-12 guys. We only lost 5-2 though.

Needless to say i'm absolutely useless at work today. Took too many shots to the back standing in front of their net.

i've been playing in a "beginner" ice hockey league (people who have only been playing for up to a couple years) for the past year or so.. has made me appreciate what the pros do so much more.. mostly because of how aware you have to be for when you need to get out on the ice

I've always wanted to learn to play ice hockey. I can't even ice skate. However, I did buy some roller hockey stuff in the spring and my brother and I spent a lot of afternoons out in an empty parking lot skating around shooting balls at a net. We tried to get friends join us so we could maybe do some pickup games, but this town is small and any of the few who seemed interested either didn't have time or didn't have money to go buy roller blades and a cheap hockey stick.

I've always wanted to learn to play ice hockey. I can't even ice skate. However, I did buy some roller hockey stuff in the spring and my brother and I spent a lot of afternoons out in an empty parking lot skating around shooting balls at a net. We tried to get friends join us so we could maybe do some pickup games, but this town is small and any of the few who seemed interested either didn't have time or didn't have money to go buy roller blades and a cheap hockey stick.

Last winter sucked for pond hockey, but the winters before it did not. I suggest you buy yourself a pair of used skates, and hit the ponds around where you live with or without friends.

Just skating around with a puck shooting on an empty net is fun. If you can get a buddy then you're golden. Bonus is that if you go out alone for a bit, eventually you'll be joined by other like-minded people. Pond hockey is the best. Nobody cares if you're good or not.

I'm very sad today. The best time of year should be starting tonight.....

I hope we actually get a winter this year, there's a park rink half a block up the road. Hardly a slush pile last year, but it years past it's been hours of fun.

Last winter sucked for pond hockey, but the winters before it did not. I suggest you buy yourself a pair of used skates, and hit the ponds around where you live with or without friends.

Just skating around with a puck shooting on an empty net is fun. If you can get a buddy then you're golden. Bonus is that if you go out alone for a bit, eventually you'll be joined by other like-minded people. Pond hockey is the best. Nobody cares if you're good or not.

+1.

Big Rapids used to flood the soccer fields down by the hospital in the winter. A friend and I would sometimes go down there and pass the puck around.

Ferris has open skate at Ewigleben Ice Area and it's pretty cheap. Great way to get your ankles and balance in shape.

The 1/2 sheet on the other side of the locker rooms is where they have drop-in hockey. If you are half-assed on your skates, it's a good time. The skill level of the guys we played with was all over the map. Everything from barely being able to get up and down the ice before the puck did twice, to some fancy European players who could keep the puck away from 3 guys at the same time.

Everyone just takes their shift and guys jump over when it's their turn.

The Peewee kids play on that 1/2 sheet too. I always liked going in early to watch them play before the drop-in started.

Speaking of Ferris, I think their first home games are this weekend!!

Back