Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sivdrinks said:
Kings have the better goalie, that's it.

And a better record, better coach.In the end it all comes down to 2-0. All other numbers mean nothing.
However, the series is far from over.

Goofynewfie said:
And a better record, better coach.In the end it all comes down to 2-0. All other numbers mean nothing.
However, the series is far from over.

No doubt I'm bitter. I'm just saying, take away Quick and I don't think they're here. Take away any player for NJ and I think they're still here. On another note, does Sutter burn tree? Man he's quirky. I just can't see him firing people up.

sivdrinks said:
No doubt I'm bitter. I'm just saying, take away Quick and I don't think they're here. Take away any player for NJ and I think they're still here. On another note, does Sutter burn tree? Man he's quirky. I just can't see him firing people up.

Quick wasn't even really a big factor in the first three series. Nowhere near as much as he's been against NJ. Not because he's not good, but because the rest of the team was so good that he didn't even really matter. I guarantee the Kings would be here even with an average goalie. The last two games don't make the *best* case for it, but I'm willing to bet Brown will take MVP over Quick.

As for Sutter, he's a HUGE factor in the Kings' domination. Had he been with LA all season, there's no doubt they would have finished much better than 8th seed.

sivdrinks said:
I'm just saying, take away Quick and I don't think they're here. Take away any player for NJ and I think they're still here.

I agree about Quick, but I dont think the devils are here without Brodeur either. the teams match up very well in all areas, just LA seems to be playing better as a team and have the better goaltender at the moment. I still see LA winning in 6 and wouldnt be surprised if either goaltender won MVP

I agree about Quick, but I dont think the devils are here without Brodeur either. the teams match up very well in all areas, just LA seems to be playing better as a team and have the better goaltender at the moment. I still see LA winning in 6 and wouldnt be surprised if either goaltender won MVP

I agree. I think Quick is making a huge difference. I think LA wins in 5 though.

I think the Devils played well tonight, just can't put together a game without breakdowns. Four guys standing around in front of Marty on the OT goal was just as bad as the D on the first one. Block a fukin shot man! I guess this is just the Kings Cinderella year. I'm really happy to beat Philly and NY in the playoffs regardless of the bleak outlook.

sivdrinks said:
Drunk, drowning sorrows in Yoopers 60 clone.

You haven't lost yet. If NJ can step up their game, it's not impossible. LA has only lost at home so far, with a 4-2 record (compared to 10-0 on the road), so dropping the first two home games isn't necessarily the death sentence it often is.

But yeah, losing in the finals is always the hardest (see Vancouver last year.) You lose in the first round, it's not the end of the world, but if the team gets second place, it seems like a total failure, despite it still being a major accomplishment.

Besides, if NJ were to win the CUP this year, Marty would probably want to retire on that note. I like watching him play though, and I'm pretty sure he's got at least a few more years in him - the guy looked almost like a 20-year old tonight. He may not have the sheer athleticism of Quick, but he's still one of the best in the game. He was so impressive tonight that I think he has a legitimate shot at MVP, even if the Devils lose.

emjay said:
You haven't lost yet. If NJ can step up their game, it's not impossible. LA has only lost at home so far, with a 4-2 record (compared to 10-0 on the road), so dropping the first two home games isn't necessarily the death sentence it often is.

But yeah, losing in the finals is always the hardest (see Vancouver last year.) You lose in the first round, it's not the end of the world, but if the team gets second place, it seems like a total failure, despite it still being a major accomplishment.

Besides, if NJ were to win the CUP this year, Marty would probably want to retire on that note. I like watching him play though, and I'm pretty sure he's got at least a few more years in him - the guy looked almost like a 20-year old tonight. He may not have the sheer athleticism of Quick, but he's still one of the best in the game. He was so impressive tonight that I think he has a legitimate shot at MVP, even if the Devils lose.

Appreciate the words. You gotta hate Devils though, had some rough rounds with the Devils and Leafs in the Domi days.

Before the series Marty said he's playing another year regardless of the outcome.

The Devils have outplayed LA for portions of both games but not 90%. Not even 50%.

I stick by my prediction: Kings in 5. Wife thinks it'll be a sweep.

Your wife is smart. :)

So it appears Goborik played the entire playoffs with a severe shoulder injury that will keep him out till Christmas. Not saying it would have made a huge difference but getting some production from one of our top scorers might have helped.

Speaking of scoring, I thought this was gonna be a great series cause of how many more goals the Devils would score than the Rangers? 2 goals in 2 games?:D

Not to mention complaining about the Devils needing to play better d and blocking shots which u were complaining about the Rangers Doing last round?

But its cool, blame it all on the opposing goalie. Cause hes the only one on the team..........

Northjerzyg said:
Not to mention complaining about the Devils needing to play better d and blocking shots which u were complaining about the Rangers Doing last round?

But its cool, blame it all on the opposing goalie. Cause hes the only one on the team..........

Devils would be the best team to ever play if no one else had a net minder. ;)

Northjerzyg said:

Kings are better than the Rangers, goalie too. It's not like LA is thumping the Devils, it's all but an even series.

Kings are better than the Rangers, goalie too. It's not like LA is thumping the Devils, it's all but an even series.

WOW! 2-0 is all but even??? Heading home???

Makes sense now about Torts "benching" Gaborik, and not wanting to comment on it. Looking back, was he "pouting" at the end of the bench, or wincing? Either way, it's the playoffs, and sh*t happens.

ColbyJack said:
WOW! 2-0 is all but even??? Heading home???

Makes sense now about Torts "benching" Gaborik, and not wanting to comment on it. Looking back, was he "pouting" at the end of the bench, or wincing? Either way, it's the playoffs, and sh*t happens.

Two overtime games, they're pretty even I'd say. Besides, Kings suck at home, they lost twice there!

What's really sad is, the Kings are having an amazing pos-season.... and L.A. is so enamored of Kobe that most of L.A. doesn't even know the Kings are in the final.

Man, 5:00 game in LA. Most people are either commuting home or still at work. Kind of sucks for them, but pretty much validates the idea that nobody cares about the West.

wildwest450 said:
The Pens just snagged Vokoun, interesting.

I was going to say that they should really focus on getting some defenceman instead, but...

Vokoun for a 7th round pick? That's practically a freebie. Is he really that worthless? That's gotta do some serious damage to the ego.

emjay said:
Vokoun for a 7th round pick? That's practically a freebie. Is he really that worthless? That's gotta do some serious damage to the ego.
Hes a unrestrictrd free agent on july
1. Just gives them one month of exclusive negotiations before free agency

Goofynewfie said:
Hes a unrestrictrd free agent on july
1. Just gives them one month of exclusive negotiations before free agency

So what incentive is there for Vokoun to not just wait?

emjay said:
And your boy Marty is in his 40's. Your point??

I think he should retire, I'd like to see them go after someone like Schneider. I love the guy, but his best days are behind him. If he got hurt right before the playoffs no one would've worried about Mooses capabilities. I guess Vokoun for a 7th rounder is a great deal, just not sure he's an upgrade over Johnson.

sivdrinks said:
I think he should retire, I'd like to see them go after someone like Schneider.

Screw that. I wanna see Schneider in Toronto.

Or Luongo, if the Canucks decide to go that way. He's already said he'd waive his no-trade clause if they ask him to, but I imagine he'd try to get himself traded to Tampa Bay if that's the case, and the Lightning are desperate for a good goalie.

emjay said:
Screw that. I wanna see Schneider in Toronto.

Or Luongo, if the Canucks decide to go that way. He's already said he'd waive his no-trade clause if they ask him to, but I imagine he'd try to get himself traded to Tampa Bay if that's the case, and the Lightning are desperate for a good goalie.

I'm not a Luongo fan, you can have him. I'm not sure Lou would tell Marty it's time to go, but would you wanna retire after losing the Cup? Devils have had great success bringing guys from within the farm system, goalies always seem to be a bit tricky though. Maybe Marty stays another year and splits time with a rookie but I doubt it.

copyright1997 said:
4 million reasons. He just signed a 2 year $4 mil deal with the Penguins, said in an interview it's a great hockey town and he hopes to win a cup with them.

That's not really an incentive though. I doubt Pittsburgh would take the offer off the table, but competing offers could possibly improve his deal.

Unless Vokoun doesn't think other teams will offer anywhere near that much, in which case Pittsburgh knows they can offer him less because he has no other option. But I doubt it. If it were all that likely, then Pittsburgh would have little need to pay the extra money AND give up a draft pick. Not to mention that there are a LOT of teams looking for goalies this year...

sivdrinks said:
I'm not a Luongo fan, you can have him. I'm not sure Lou would tell Marty it's time to go, but would you wanna retire after losing the Cup? Devils have had great success bringing guys from within the farm system, goalies always seem to be a bit tricky though. Maybe Marty stays another year and splits time with a rookie but I doubt it.

... and speaking of which, I'm not saying I'd prefer Luongo over Schneider. But Vancouver is only going to give up one of them, and either way, it'll still be the best goalie available for a team to acquire. And either one of them would be a major improvement for the Leafs, so I'd still support picking up Luongo if he's the one that's available. But if it happens to be Schneider, you can DIAF if you think you're going to take him from us ;)

WHO'S READY FOR 2TEAMS1CUP??!?

emjay said:
Kings off to a great start.

I guess we really are watching different games, Devils are controlling the puck yet again. Yes I know, they haven't scored. Y'all make it sound like the Kings are beating teams 5-1 every night.

Back