entered my first beer in a comp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
i made a american wheat with sweet orange peel.

well i did as expected. the notes pointed out flaws i thought i noticed.

i ended up with a score of 24 out of 50.

flaws would include Astringent,Phenolic,yeasty

it has a harsh aftertaste, or band-aid like. everyone said check my water. i used spring water from the store. i also had head retention issues some would look amazing then the next would look flat but fully carbonated.

one judge said possible infection. this judge had a lot to say so its possible he said it was sour. i wish i could have tried it i bet it was good hah.

this is my stab at what i did wrong. water, and had not fermenter temp control. i just set it in the basement for a week at 68F. at the peak it was at 72. after the first week i moved it upstairs to around 72-74F daily temps that was for about a week. i also dry hopped it for 4 days. the hops i used the bag had a hole in it so i did it to help with the aroma.

if anyone wants me to send the notes send me a PM with your email and i will send the PDF.

Jako, maybe i live to rural but how does one enter one of these? I have never seen a posting on one

Jako, maybe i live to rural but how does one enter one of these? I have never seen a posting on one

It's a annual event set up by the local brew supply store. It cost 5$ to enter. Then I had to give up 3 bottles of beer and enter some information about the beer.

I Still very new to all this but I would check local brew clubs or even look at a city event. I live about 30 min from salt like city so it's not a far drive to the city for me.

But if you plan far enough out you could always make a day trip out of it. The guy at our local store talked me into it and I am happy I did it. I have a rough idea of how good my beer is when I first started.

I just entered my second one. my first one I entered 2 and one had a score like yours. I still drank it lol. My lager I changed my bottling methods and lagering a bit ( dont try to bottle lager and ship it). Are those temps your ambient room temps? Just asking cause i get those tastes off to warm temps.

you can check sanctioned ones here
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/#calendar

my lhbs posts some local ones that arent sanctioned.

I just entered my second one. my first one I entered 2 and one had a score like yours. I still drank it lol. My lager I changed my bottling methods and lagering a bit ( dont try to bottle lager and ship it). Are those temps your ambient room temps? Just asking cause i get those tastes off to warm temps.

you can check sanctioned ones here
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/#calendar

my lhbs posts some local ones that arent sanctioned.

68 is my basement temps. mabe 69 70 at the most. but i moved it to the first floor to warm it up so it would get the yeast working... i know bad idea.

moving forward i plan to let the wart hang out for a day in the basement to get the temp lower. then i plan to sit it in some water and toss a wet towel over it to keep the temps lower during primary. i also plan on working my water supply.

You probably make a delicious hefeweizen. 68° is more than enough temp to get started and your beer will likely be warmer during fermentation. I routinely ferment in low to mid 60's ambient temp without any attenuation issues. I made a kolsch in the spring (similar fermentation profile as a Amer Wheat) and out the fermentor outside while we had a two week run of 55°-65° temps. Worked out very well. Subtle malt and no fruity or sour esters with full attenuation.

White Labs (WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale) and Wyeast (1010 American Wheat) are considered reliable for American Wheat. Kolsch yeast will also work.

You may consider skipping the dry hopping for now until you nail down your fermentation without the off flavors. Dry hopping isn't necessary for an American Wheat. After two weeks, I keg conditioned, moving into my basement and wrapping it in ice blankets every day (keeping it in the low 60's) until I tapped it in the kegerator.

As for water, the local municipality routinely tests and publishes reports. While what flows from my tap might differ, it is a tight range and sufficient for me to rely on using additives to dial in the desired profile. Others use RODI water as a clean slate and add salts to a precise profile. If you are serious about competing, that may be the way to go.

You probably make a delicious hefeweizen. 68° is more than enough temp to get started and your beer will likely be warmer during fermentation. I routinely ferment in low to mid 60's ambient temp without any attenuation issues. I made a kolsch in the spring (similar fermentation profile as a Amer Wheat) and out the fermentor outside while we had a two week run of 55°-65° temps. Worked out very well. Subtle malt and no fruity or sour esters with full attenuation.

White Labs (WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale) and Wyeast (1010 American Wheat) are considered reliable for American Wheat. Kolsch yeast will also work.

You may consider skipping the dry hopping for now until you nail down your fermentation without the off flavors. Dry hopping isn't necessary for an American Wheat. After two weeks, I keg conditioned, moving into my basement and wrapping it in ice blankets every day (keeping it in the low 60's) until I tapped it in the kegerator.

As for water, the local municipality routinely tests and publishes reports. While what flows from my tap might differ, it is a tight range and sufficient for me to rely on using additives to dial in the desired profile. Others use RODI water as a clean slate and add salts to a precise profile. If you are serious about competing, that may be the way to go.

i just brewed my first all grain with BIAB. i did a APA. things i made sure i did this time around. used my fridge water since it had filter and then treated the water for chlorine. worked on my temps started at 64 this morning it was around 68 but i would say its at its peak of ferm.

Back