Enough Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djevans3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed an extract kit of an Irish Red and hit my SG of 1.060. I'm using Safale S-04 Ale yeast 11g packet and re-hydrated in 1 cup of warm water. My issue was when pouring into the carboy I spilled some of the slurry, approximately 30-40%. Given the gravity of the beer, will I still have enough yeast to in the carboy to reach my terminal gravity? I feel like the beer was well oxygenated and I pitched with a fairly high temp of say 75 degrees which I'm hoping will help the yeast take hold.

FYI - My plan is for it to ferment for 10 days in primary @ 68 degrees before racking off to secondary for another 2 weeks.

Any advice is appreciated and hoping I didn't screw up my second batch!

pitch rate for that gravity with dry is around 13 or so gms, you may have under pitched a bit what with losing some yeast. do your best to keep temps low, 68 ambient is a tad high for english yeast. i ferment my english beers at 60-62 ambient temp.

Back