Enough Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tglo1961

Reaction score
So I just put my second batch of beer into the fermenter. I bought a Mexican Cerveza international malt extract (in a can). The instructions were fairly easy but kind of vague. The can contained the hops in with the malt and did provide a package of yeast. What it didn't say was weather or not to add sugar? I kind of made the assumption there was enough sugar in the malt syrup?
Did I make the wrong assumption?

If it was Cooper's, you should have added 3 pounds of corn sugar. No reason to panic though, as you can add it any time in the next week.

If the instructions didn't say to add sugar, then you did it right. And kits will always give you a 5oz packet of priming sugar. It should NOT be added during fermentation, only right before bottling. Did the kit come with any sugar (besides priming sugar) ???

No, it was only the can of malt syrup. It did come with a package of yeast. The instructions were very vague. It said to dissolve contents of can and other fermentable sugars with 2 liters of boiling water. It did not specifically say to add any certain amount of sugar.
Will this end up non-alcoholic beer?

If it was just one can for a five galling batch, then you almost certainly should have added sugar (or dme).

Was it in fact a coopers kit? If not, what brand?

No you will still get alcohol in your beer, as long as everything else was done right but it will be pretty low. if you DID get the cooper kit then its recommended that you get the brew enhancer kit or extra dry malt extract. this includes some sugars and other ingredients to improve the taste and alcohol
I may get some criticism but I would get a kit from Midwest, Northern, or Austin (those are the only store im familiar with) instead of the coopers. There are a lot of fun steps that are missed with the cooper's kits.

Boil the sugar in water a bit to dissolve and sanitize it, cool it, then gently add to fermenter.

Back