Enough head space??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
Brewed an Irish red today and hit about 1.055 OG, got just a smidge over 5 gal into the 5 gal carboy plus about 6 oz of rehydrated dry yeast. There's not much headspace here...I have a blow off tube but it's one of the wimpy little ones. Never used one like this before, I always use a large blowoff tube like the one in the back of the picture. Its unusual for me to have two beers fermenting at the same time.
Should i be worried about this?
Really dont wanna make a mess in here

20170306_154343.jpg

What yeast strain?
And what does "6 oz of rehydrated dry yeast" translate to wrt packets or grams of dry yeast?
And how are you going to control the temperature once the yeast get going?

eg: If you pitched Fermentis Safale S04 without temperature control I'd say you're gonna be rockin' that blow-off...

Cheers!

One package of s 04 rehydrated in 6 oz of water.
Closet stays at a steady 62 ish degrees and ill be using frozen water bottles to cool

S-04 is explosive and you're going to have some blowoff with that little amount of headspace. I wouldn't worry about it, the gas will go out the tube, as long as it doesn't get clogged with anything, and even if it does get momentarily clogged the pressure from the gas will force whatever it is out. You'll be good with your current setup. The problem you're going to find though is you're going to lose some beer from the blowoff. I've lost quarts of beer like that, but nothing you can do about it if you overfill your carboy.

I once had a blow-out when using a blow-off tube (3/8" I think), but it had hops in it. I'd say if you didn't stain out the hops, it might plug. Otherwise, should be ok.

I've quit using a blow-off. I use a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallon batches, and no beers over 1.060 OG. No problems.

A little help here with an airlock. Dont know why i didn't think of that from the start.
Maintaining a steady 62 in the tub so I'm guessing about 65-66 in the eye of the storm.

20170307_185206.jpg

Back