English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagnew440

Reaction score
How does this look

O.G. 1.063
F.G. 1.015
IBU 59
SRM 10

10lb Pale
1.5lb Munich 10L
.5lb 60L
1lb Wheat

1oz Willamette (5.0%) 60min
1oz E.K.G. (5.5%) 30min
1oz E.K.G. (5.5%) 15min
1oz Willamette (5.0%) 10min
1oz E.K.G. (5.5%) 5min

WLP023 Burton Ale

Mash around 152-154 for 60min.
Possibly dry hop with 1oz each Willamette and E.K.G for 3 days.
Any suggestions would be great.

3 days is a very short time to dry hops 1-2 weeks is more standard, any reason for the short time? I'd also go for Maris Otter if you can get it for a stronger bready/malty flavor. I don't really like 023 (too minerally for me) but lots of other people like it.

Good luck.

I dont want to overdo the dry hops, I may just toss them in at flameout. I'm also trying to use up ingredents I have, I've been searching on how to emulate MO (or at least close to MO) and I'm going to drop the munich and replace with 1lb of biscuit. As for the WLP023 I've used it in a dark mild and liked it but I'm still open to the yeast I'm going to use. I've used S04 before but didn't really care for it, maybe I'll go with WLP002 or WLP007.

Take a look at this page of the BJCP guidelines for 14A English IPA;http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php
It seems my recipe for APA/IPA is right on par with the English IPA. My OG/FG of 1.050/1.010 is right in there,as is the fruity ester flavors from the cooper's ale yeast. The bready/biscuity/toasty malt flavor right on as well.
It's a good read,since they also talk about ingredients,like using English style hops.

Back