"English" bitter with American hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has done an English bitter with American hops, or if that combo would even work.

Here's what I like about each of the 2 styles, curious if it could work in one beer!

English Bitter:
-strong malt backbone, caramel lot flavors
-great balance between hops/malt/aroma
-Fruit esters
-some residual sweetness

American IPA (note - I mainly like the ones that have a lot of aromatic hops, over an emphasis on IBU's)
-aromatic hops, lots of hop flavor.
-citrusy, piney, fruity flavors from hops.

What I don't like about (most) American IPA's/Pale Ales:
-excessive hop bitterness dominating the palate.
-malt seems thin or gets lost perhaps from the bitterness of the hops
-mouthfeel/malt not always well balanced.

What I was thinking is basically making a ESB or Best Bitter recipe, instead substituting English hops with American hops to yield similar IBU's (35-40). I was thinking something like Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo, or something of the like, or some combination thereof. I would probably use a yeast like S-04 or BRY-97

Thoughts? Anyone tried something like this?

What it sounds like you're describing is an American Pale Ale ;)

Seriously though, the use of American hops is a big thing right now in English brewing, so you're certainly not off-base.

I've done that with Willamette, with Cascade. Previous poster had it correct. I always thought of it more like an American Pale using British malts.

I don't think of it as an American Pale. To me, at least most commercial examples I have tried (many) APA seem somewhat lacking in the way of maltiness and mouthfeel, and the estery/floral flavors I get out of a British bitter.

Not sure if it is the yeast, the fact that bitters are often bottle/cask conditioned, served warmer and less carbed, or what. I have spent all my life chasing after more hops *flavor* but I really like something about the bitter. Maybe is that what hops flavor is there does not get drowned out in a deep, gaping, hole left by a beer dominated by strong early hops additions.

Never had an interest in bitters til my boss who brews them almost exclusively introduced me. Brewing one, i seems evident that they are, pound, for pound, a good bang for the buck in terms of flavor! No one flavor seems to diminish the other flavors, and I am surprised that the OG, alcohol content, and modest hops bill were all that they were, as if I would have tasted it I would have guessed it was more.

Yet, I am an American and I love hops, I want to taste hops. Big hops. HUGE hops flavor and aroma.

So, I set out in my quest. Thanks for posting the recipes, and I look forward to exploring them further.

Cheers!
-Wooden

Atleast for bittering american hops (cluster) have been used in english beer for generations now (gonna have to dig through barclay perkins for the source). I don't see a problem with really any american hop variety as long as the balance and malt character are there.

Sounds like you are aiming for a beer that I would prefer over the typical 'ISA' that is popular these days. In my opinion, an English Bitter with lots of american hop flavour and aroma is more interesting than a session strength beer that is really only presenting hop character.

I often add some cascade to the boil/fermentor of my bitters for a sharper bite, and I love the way it turns out. I do think it's important to back up the US hop character with solidly English malt presence to keep it balanced and enjoyable.

Lots of bitters use some US hops. Tribute works great with Styrians and Willamette, to cite a commercial example. Half US hops in the late additions / dry hop of a bitter are quite common. If you want more US hop flavour you might want to consider brewing a British Golden Ale: they often showcase single US hops.

I brewed a variant of the stone pale ale awhile back using British malts. Harangue hops and WYEAST1469 for yeast. Nice British eaters. Malty backbone and no Dryhop. I then revised its style to an American special bitter.

Bit late here, but I can confirm that England is now awash with beers that are basically the same as they've always been but have had American hops supplanted into them. It works, often with English hopping levels. Quaffable session beers with gentle levels of American hops. For example, bitters and blonde ales are nearly as likely to contain Cascade now as Golding's. We also have a lot of American styles being produced. Many breweries are producing beers with English malt bases and yeasts but American style hopping. US05 is widely used too, mind. American malts are rarely seen however. Carriage is not economical and our malts are great anyway.

Back