Endosperm mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Hey, I was reading Draft magazine, and their review for a certain pilsner (I don't remember which) said that the brewery used a technique called endosperm mashing, where the grain is completely dehusked before mashing. What benefit this has I don't know, but would like to. So I just wanted to know if anyone here knew anything more about this technique, and I would also be curious as to whether this is something that is doable for the homebrewer.

The only brewery that I know about that is doing that is Riegle

They use a mashing procedure called Schrotmaischen in which the husks are seperated from the endosperm and added later in the process. The idea is to further reduce the tannin extraction from the husks by limiting their presence in the wort. I have not had their Beer, but they claim that they can brew an exceptionally smooth beer with this process. It's a rather involved process in which you have to make sure that you get most (I'd guess at least 90 - 95%) of the endosperm separated from the husks. You could try this by using a sieve and see if you can get a good enough separation that would make it worth trying this. But I doubt that you will notice a difference when you get this to work. Another way to reduce the tannins in the wort is to use only the first wort by doing a no-sparge lauter since most of the tannins are actually extracted with the sparge water.

Kai

Trumer Pils also does this. I was thing about doing the same thing but I'm not sure if the amount of work needed will add much to(or subtract from) the beer. Maybe I will do this on my next light beer for snizzles and giggles.

Check Here under the malt section.

Thanks, Pretty cool. I definitely have to try that beer when I'm over there this summer and see if it really makes a difference.

I just looked at some malt that was milled dry and there are quite many pieces of endosperm still stuck to the husks. Even to many to make this work. But I wonder if malt conditioning would allow you to mill tight enough that most of the endosperm leaves the husks while the husks remain big enough to be held back by a screen. Then you mash this and add 50% (I think that is how many you would need for a lauter) back to the mash during the last 10 min of the mash. mash-out, check for conversion and start the lauter. Maybe even a no-sparge to maximize the effect. At least use less sparge water than mash water.

I plan to explore the world of Helles and Pils next year, maybe I'll put this on my rather ambitious to-do list.

Kai

Mine seperate pretty well so maybe a run over a window screen might work for me to get ride of about 2/3 of the husks. I hope I can pull this off. If not I'll just add the husks I got our back in.

Latest posts

Back