Enclosure for a RIMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbeard

Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm scoping out the parts list for a RIMS build (so as to gauge cost and such), and can't seem to find any ideally sized project boxes/enclosures. The medium aluminum enclosure from Auber is just a tiny bit too small for my needs (I want to have the PID and four buttons on the front face - Master, Pump, PID, and Element) and it doesn't seem to have enough room to fit all the components inside. I planned on using an old OtterBox dry box as the enclosure (the top panel is big enough) but again, not enough room inside (and it's not deep enough to fit the PID, to boot).

Current plan is to have something like this on the front face:
Panel.png

(ignore the lines between buttons; they're there to show the center point for drilling)

As drafted, the panel is about 4.8" wide by 2 inches high.

Internally, it would need to fit:
  • PID (Auber 2352)
  • Two power sockets (one for pump, one for heater)
  • One power receptacle
  • Three terminal strips (H/N/G)
  • Two contactors (the switches I've sourced from Auber only handle 5a, and the element would push 11a+)
  • SSR (25a)
  • Wire for all of the above
  • Three 19mm push button switches (SW18 from Auber)
  • One maintained selector switch (SW16 from Auber, for the Master power)

I've seen in other threads that you want at least 5-6" behind the PID for wiring. The front face of the Auber medium enclosure is nominally big enough to fit the panel as drafted, but doesn't seem to have enough room to fit all the wiring and components (the photo of an exemplar wiring seems maxed out at one relay, the PID, the socket, and receptacle). Given the number of components, something a bit larger than 5"w x 2"h x 6"d seems appropriate, but the boxes I've seen are either too small or MASSIVE...

Does anyone know where I could source a suitable enclosure? Ideally water-tight (or at least that doesn't have vents, I have no problem mounting a heat sink), and bonus points for aluminum (looks better :p)

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back