Elusive rolling boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First homebrew try since '95. This stupid electric range is not able to achieve a rolling boil on 3 gal of water unless the lid is on. Period. Instructions for Belgium style wheat indicate to add LME with 15 minutes left in the 60 min boil. After adding LME and putting lid on, 60 mins was up before rolling boil re-achieved. Also, rolling boil interrupted a few times during the first 45 mins as I was discovering that lid removal killed rolling boil.

Is this a big deal? Does the boil NEED to roll??

Thanks!!!

First homebrew try since '95. This stupid electric range is not able to achieve a rolling boil on 3 gal of water unless the lid is on. Period. Instructions for Belgium style wheat indicate to add LME with 15 minutes left in the 60 min boil. After adding LME and putting lid on, 60 mins was up before rolling boil re-achieved. Also, rolling boil interrupted a few times during the first 45 mins as I was discovering that lid removal killed rolling boil.

Is this a big deal? Does the boil NEED to roll??

Thanks!!!

Yes, it needs to boil. Either use less water/volume to maintain a rolling boil (no lid!) or use an outdoor burner or an electric heat stick or something to help the boil along.

I would think not. The rolling boil is for driving off unwanted sulfites which are formed by the heat of the water and then volatized by the boiling action. Malt extract has already had that done to it as part of the process of making it. As an extract brewer you boil for two reasons. 1) to sterilized the wort and 2) to get the hop alpha acids to dissolve. Neither of those requires the wort to be rolling.

Happy brewing!

I would think not. The rolling boil is for driving off unwanted sulfites which are formed by the heat of the water and then volatized by the boiling action. Malt extract has already had that done to it as part of the process of making it. As an extract brewer you boil for two reasons. 1) to sterilized the wort and 2) to get the hop alpha acids to dissolve. Neither of those requires the wort to be rolling.

Happy brewing!

No, the point of the boil has nothing to do with Sulfites (?). I believe you're talking about DMS, but that doesn't apply with extract batches.

You don't have to boil malt extract at all- but you DO need a rolling boil for proper hops utilization and isomerization.

Thanks for the replies.

Let the fermentation begin. Any predictions on possible ill effects of having a "sometimes rolling boil"?

Thanks all.

Definitely a good idea to remove it from the burner. Thankfully I didn't scorch mine in a moment of distraction but I did have one or two burnt spots on the pot bottom. Electric tops are hard to brew with, if you have access to anything gas (side burner on a grill maybe) go with that. As far as your rolling boil question though I honestly don't know. I think the guys above me had it figured out. Good luck!

Pretty sure no scorching. Bottom of kettle was clean. I think I'll use the propane burner next time. I hope I don't have 5 gals of nastiness!

No, the point of the boil has nothing to do with Sulfites (?). I believe you're talking about DMS, but that doesn't apply with extract batches.

Sorry, I meant sulfides not sulfites. Yeah SMM and DMS don't apply to extract batches.

Latest posts

Back