Element switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
Looking to switch element between two SSRs with a switch with center off for safety. One SSR is stand alone variable and other is PID controlled. Any guess on type switch? DPDT on/off/on?

Looking to switch element between two SSRs with a switch with center off for safety. One SSR is stand alone variable and other is PID controlled. Any guess on type switch? DPDT on/off/on?
Just get the right PID (Auber Instruments SYL-2352) and it has the function that you are looking for built in.

Manual mode that controls the % power delivered - and controller mode that controls the temperature spot on.

On the other hand: If you are really set on switching, I think you will need to set up a pair of contactors to handle the current. (That is IF you are using a high current element) Then you would use a simple low current switch to control the contactors.

Just saying...

Guess the manual switch to completely shut off elements may be from the talk of SSRs leaking current...might not be a valid concern, everything is on GFCI spa panel. Wiring spa panel was easy thanks to your photos so thank you!

Instead of having two SSR's why don't you just switch the control voltage. A DPDT on-off-on switch should switch the control voltage from the PWM to the SSR. Then if you are worried about leakage, you can have a master off-on switch for the SSR.

I'd like to do that since it's the easiest, but finding a switch that will handle the 23A the element draws on 240V is difficult then running the thick wire to the panel door and back to SSR sucks.

I am using DPDT switches on mine. Up goes through the PID to control the SSR, center is off and down turns on the SSR manually. There is no need to use two SSR's, both the switch and PID can activate the same SSR.

I forgot to add the low voltage power supplies for the SSR's but this gives you the idea....
SchematicsRev2.jpg

Back