element outlet 220v to 110v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I have an 3 vessel eHERMS that runs with two 5500w 220v elements.

I want to reconfigure to a single vessel RIMS/BIAB.

so I either need to rewire one of my element outlets to 120v or find a 220v element for my RIMS.

My control box is wired up to Ryan's specs using this diagram.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ebrewsupply/schematics/30a+PID+2-element+DIY.pdf

Any help either way, is really needed.

Thanks

If you consider a cartridge heater like I went with in my setup in my signature you have a LOT of ULWD and lower wattage 240v options... I currently use an 1800w 36" long 240v element which draws less than 8 amps. Being a single stainless rod its easy to keep clean as well.

got links?
heres the one I used.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-HEAT-C...0V-36-Leads-/390993852374?hash=item5b090cb7d6
you simply drill out a 5/8 compression fitting to make a threaded base to mount the element in... there are pics in my sig thread (along with more links.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ter..TRS0&_nkw=cartridge+heater+240v&_sacat=0 pictures is my older 24" 1000w element... The longer the element the better in my opinion for gentler more consistent heating. last picture is my longer more powerful rims... I can raise my mash 2 degrees per minute with this setup.

Rims version 4.jpg

old rims element.jpg

rims.jpg

Are your elements straight or wavy? If they are straight and long enough you can put one in a RIMs tube and run it at 120V and get about 1350 watts there.

Agreed.

But to do that I need to change the power going to the SpeakOn connection 120 and not 240, and I am not sure how to do that

T

@augiedoggy

Can you post or link some pics pf how you used the compression fitting?

@BrunDog

Going to look into opening up the control panel, and trying to figure out the rewiring.

I really want to move to a single vessel set up, so one way or another, it will happen.

T

T

Agreed.

But to do that I need to change the power going to the SpeakOn connection 120 and not 240, and I am not sure how to do that

T

All ya gotta do is move one wire as shown in the edited schematic below. Not sure if I picked the correct outlet to move, but if not, just do the equivalent move from the other one.

Don't worry about the gray rectangle, just something funky with my screen capture.

ElectricBrewing EHERMS Controller edit.jpg

Brew on :mug:

@augiedoggy

Can you post or link some pics pf how you used the compression fitting?

@BrunDog

Going to look into opening up the control panel, and trying to figure out the rewiring.

I really want to move to a single vessel set up, so one way or another, it will happen.

T

T
Sorry here you go.. the smaller one is a 3/8" element trough a drilled out compressin fitting which is drilled so I could install it reversed and have it pass all the way through.

The larger element is a 1/2" setup with a 1" adapter...
both are 240v and 1000w which was plenty for mashing but I wanted something faster for step mashing so went to the 36" 1800w element I use now.

IMG_20160120_080414591[1].jpg

IMG_20160120_080514972[1].jpg

IMG_20160120_080509356[1].jpg

Back