Element Orientation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decoleur

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my 5500W ULWD ripple elements from Bobby_M with the TC housing to connect to the TC on my pot. And now I find that when the ripple is horizontal because of the location of the dip tube and the whirlpool port my SS hop filter no lo get fits. If I orient the ripple vertically it fits.
So if I put a float switch that cuts off the element if it is exposed. Is there a problem with this non standard orientation?
It looks like 3g of wort will cover it.

Thanks for your input.

-decoleur

I think i understand, you want to rotate the element so that instead of the ripples going side to side they are going up and down, which would make the element stick up further and you would need more wort to cover it. Orientation really does not matter, what's important is that it's completely covered before turning it on. That means not even a small amount of it can be exposed.

You can bend the elements but I've only seen people bend it to "unfold it" a bit for easier cleaning, never seen anyone bend the whole thing at the base to move it away. Besides, any bend you put it in may make it harder to remove later on if you wanted to.

Sorry, i already have the TC on the side of the pot for the element. I am thinking that I need to rotate the element 90° to make room for the filter. Bending it won't work.

So as long as it's covered I should be fine, my float switch can force that. I think I am good.

If you haven't used the element you can bend it to fit horizontally. Hopefully I just uploaded the right picture. I used a tubing bender and got it to fit my narrow pot.

element.jpg

Finally got my 5500W ULWD ripple elements from Bobby_M with the TC housing to connect to the TC on my pot. And now I find that when the ripple is horizontal because of the location of the dip tube and the whirlpool port my SS hop filter no lo get fits. If I orient the ripple vertically it fits.
So if I put a float switch that cuts off the element if it is exposed. Is there a problem with this non standard orientation?
It looks like 3g of wort will cover it.

Thanks for your input.

-decoleur

Vertical orientation is fine. Really nobody does that, but I'm not sure why not. I doubt there would be much (any?) difference.

Vertical in the HLT or Boil kettle? I can see doing the HLT with no problem because it's recirculating with the pump. Now boil kettle is another story. I would not place the element vertical because I stir the boil kettle and would be afraid of hitting the element. I'm a ding or two wouldn't hurt it but I have **** house luck and would break something.

Vertical in the HLT or Boil kettle? I can see doing the HLT with no problem because it's recirculating with the pump. Now boil kettle is another story. I would not place the element vertical because I stir the boil kettle and would be afraid of hitting the element. I'm a ding or two wouldn't hurt it but I have **** house luck and would break something.

Why do you stir the boil? Once it's boiling, it seems to be doing a pretty good job keeping itself stirred.

For the benefit of hops?

Why do you stir the boil? Once it's boiling, it seems to be doing a pretty good job keeping itself stirred.

For the benefit of hops?

I mostly stir before it comes to a boil. It carried over from my propane burner days when I was worried about scorching on the bottom (inpatient habit). I do give a quick stir after hop additions to make sure they are broken up.

I mostly stir before it comes to a boil. It carried over from my propane burner days when I was worried about scorching on the bottom (inpatient habit). I do give a quick stir after hop additions to make sure they are broken up.

Right. And I forgot about issues with extract sticking to the element and scorching. Not an issue with all-grain (I never stir the boil pot).

Right. And I forgot about issues with extract sticking to the element and scorching. Not an issue with all-grain (I never stir the boil pot).

I haven't done extract in 20 years. I was always worried about scorching with my burner on max blast. We have officially hijacked this thread.:tank:

Latest posts

Back