Electrical problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello homebrewers. Let me start off by saying this is not about electric brewing but is about electric going to my brew shed that powers everything.

I have a small electric problem I'm determined to fix myself even though my knowledge of electric is basic at best. My outside GFCI outlet that powers everything in my shed stopped working a couple of days ago. I replaced the gfci which didn't solve the problem. I then tried to find where the outlet is on the breaker which isn't labeled and is ANCIENT! By trial and error I think I found it. It was one of two because I powered everything on/off one by one. I replaced both the circuit breakers and still no power!? Once the new gfci didn't work I packaged it back up and put the old one back in. The only thing I didn't do is try the new gfci with the new circuit breaker. Is it possible BOTH of them could of blown? Thanks in advance for any input! The outside gfci isn't leading to anything else and all the other gfci are working fine in the house.

Thanks for any help in advance.

You probably know this, but just in case (since it stumped me for a couple minutes recently)... many circuit breakers when they trip need to be reset by pushing firmly to the off direction before they can be turned back on. Since you actually replaced the CB, I doubt this is your issue. A cheap multi-meter would be handy for troubleshooting.

Try the new GFCI :D

You need to get these:

032886909894lg.jpg

Learn how to use them and practice troubleshooting with them.

Keep in mind there is no harm in replacing "ANCIENT" electrical equipment.

'da Kid

If you have regular receptacles wired to the load side of the GFCI, it is possible the problem lies with the load-side circuits, and not with the old GFCI or breaker.

Bad insulation on wiring that is installed in a damp location, or even dry, can result in nuisance trips by a properly functioning GFCI.

It is highly unlikely that you have two "blown" GFCI.

Did you check to see if you have a genuine ground fault? It may be that they are actually working as designed.

Back