Electrical brewing a viable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpartschjr

Reaction score
I have a small budget and some current equipment. I am looking to move outside or to my empty upstairs apartment (we are not going to rent it until we move out) and i have an open electrical stove outlet begging for use.

I am currently brewing on an electrical stove and it needs to stop pronto.

I am asking for input on what my possibilities are. I was going to use a conduction top i found for 180 that was rated highly by other brewers. I currently brew 5 gallon batches and just got a mash tun to start all grain.

Current equipment:
7.5 gallon brew kettle with ball valve, typical starter kit with 5 gallon better bottle, bottling bucket, and 7 gallon fermentation bucket.

Budget $500 (ish).
Knowledge= very little with electrical but willing to learn. Not afraid to do it myself.

I have searched builds but there is a lot to take in. Anyone willing to mentor me a little? If this is not an option then it is either the conduction brew or moving outside to propane (would suck in buffalo winters)option for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you! I am looking to do all grain (although i am not against extracts either) and due to space i would be limited to how many pots to set up unless my rig was easily movable.

Id love a three container set up but need to remain realistic with what i am working with so a one container would allow me to do both AG and extract with the biab system. I do have a ten gallon mash tun i recently purchased from another member.

FYI - that link is for the SS pump HEAD ONLY. meaning, it's a $70 replacement head, not a $70 pump.

Most places chuggers run around $115-$150 depending on stainless of plastic head.

you do not need to spend that much on a controller for e-brewing

here is a kit

http://www.stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html

it does depend if you want to build or buy a controller

or something like this

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=332

it all has to do with what you feel comfortable with doing none of it is that hard but do some research

it will save you some bucks in the end

heatsticks work well, I just did a couple of pot with elements and use that same controller on both

e-brewing is the way to go for me

do you have a 240 outlet or are you thinking 120? you are going want a ground fault circuit interrupter to be safe

you could do it without one but for me if I am going to be around that much water and electricity

I wanted one :)

all the best and good luck

S_M

I have an open 240 outlet just waiting to be used! So i want to use it

how many amps is your outlet rated for? how many wires to the outlet 4 or 3? what type of plug?

I ran a spa panel as a sub panel for my build as the spa panel was 71 dollars for the panel complete with a GFCI beaker installed

a break for my panel was about 130 dollars so it was a no brainer

Knowledge= very little with electrical but willing to learn. Not afraid to do it myself.

that is a good thing lots of e-brewing builds on here lots of people that will share their knowledge

I am no sparky but have ran lots of wire here on my place as I am a working stiff and do not need to put some electricians child through college

so with a little thought I am sure you could do it also, but it is good to be safe as electricity and water will make you dead quick

all the best

S_M

You can almost start as cheap as you want. My first setup was a boil kettle that I drilled and installed a 5500 watt element that I bought off of amazon for $30. I was set up close to the breaker box so I just switched the breaker on or off and watched the thermometer that I had clipped to the side of the kettle. Worked well enough and was a cheap way to start. Now that I brew electric I can't imagine ever going back to gas. I have since built a PID and I am switching from extract to BIAB this week, with just the boil kettle. Not ready to invest in more kettles yet.

For the induction cooktop, you may be referring to this one here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/will-cheap-3500-watt-induction-burner-work-301722/

There are several happy brewers in that thread. I just received it today. Excited to get out of the kitchen and into the basement brewery.

Avantco 3500W: $189 shipped
Bayou Classic 44 QT Pot: $80 shipped

Not sure yet the cost for the electrician to wire basement, should be minimal as I am brewing right next to the panel.

Geoff, that was my exact thought/setup.

I just figured with the socket waiting there may be an option to set up something more than BIAB but it is looking like thT is my best option until more funds are available. Maybe I'll start with the conduction and bayou save for a year, and revisit a full more automated system with pumps and whatnot. Give me time to brew and educate myself.

Thanks for all the feedback!

BrewNY it is a 220/240 with 40 or50 amp double pull set up for an electrical stove. It was just installed a few months ago when my electrician re-wired the entire house. I am uncertain if 3 or four wire but can check by popping the cover.

I love all the knowledge available here. And i will continue to troll the feeds here until i feel ready to build or find a good build i can make work for my needs/wants.

with 220/240 and 40 or 50 amp you have lots of options

post up what you are thinking of doing full boil 5 gallon batches , BIAB , partial mash
etc.

I am sure you will get lots of ideas and feedback

I do 13 gallon boils for 11.5 gallon batches all grain, my setup is very simple and makes me good beer

I love e-brewing just started 4 batches ago but should have started from the beginning doing it

I do not miss the heat and noise of my propane burner at all

all the best and good luck

S_M

The plan is 5 gallon all grain batches. I would love to keep the efficiency of a full system rather than BIAB as i tend to lean towards high gravity beers.

I am not against BIAB. I have 7.5 gallon brew kettle now with ball valve, need to add a thermometer and would love a site glass but that is all something that can be added.

I'm going to do some research this weekend, put a preliminary build in paper and will post for feedback. Thank you all again! Looks like electric will be easier to accomplish than i had assumed.

The plan is 5 gallon all grain batches. I would love to keep the efficiency of a full system rather than BIAB as i tend to lean towards high gravity beers.

I am not against BIAB. I have 7.5 gallon brew kettle now with ball valve, need to add a thermometer and would love a site glass but that is all something that can be added.

I'm going to do some research this weekend, put a preliminary build in paper and will post for feedback. Thank you all again! Looks like electric will be easier to accomplish than i had assumed.

One can certainly brew high gravity beers with BIAB, with the obvious limiting factors being the size of the kettle, the strength of the bag, and the brewer's ability to lift it. You can always drain into buckets to make the bag easier to handle.

Back