Electric valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanski

Reaction score
I have seen some talk about electric actuated valves for gas but is there electric valves for hot liquid? I am trying to design a system with 2 pumps but I want to keep the valve operation simple by just using a switch that operates more than one valve at a time.

There are a couple choices for type of actuated valves, the solenoid type from ASCO, Parker, Honeywell, Etc, or the electrically actuated ball valves by Belimo or Johnson controls. With a little patience you could probably find all you need on EBay for a reasonable price. One item to remember is that some of the larger solenoid valves (1/2" + Pipe ) require at least 2 PSI pressure difference across the valve to make them operate.

I can think of two posible ways to do it.

One is to use a solonid valve and the other is to use an electric acctuator on a manual value.

They are both used on domestic heating systems in the UK.

rohanski said:
I thought bigger was always better.

In Texas it always is!

Let us know how it goes! I've thought of ways to make an automated brew sculpture but don't have the coin to do it so I haven't really looked into how to realisticly do it.

Forgive my naivete but I don't see the advantage of switching the liquid-which deadheads the pump, compared to switching the pump-which is already theoretically primed?

What is the use in mind for the pump?

Anyone have any thoughts on "zone valves" used in hydronic heating or cooling systems say....HONEYWELL V8043 E1012)? Temperature range extends up to 200F, but Im not sure about the flow rates. Ive never physically inspected one so Im not sure how its built. I would like to use them to switch the flow in my HERMS build.

Hydronic zone valves by Honeywell, Johnson control, or Siemens will work, just need to check "CV" factor. The "CV" number is the flow in GPM that will cause a 2 PSI (4.5 feet) pressure drop through valve, the larger the number the lower the pressure drop through valve. With low head pressure mag coupled pumps you need to try to keep system pressure drops down to keep system flow rates high enough to get job done. The Belimo ball valves have a removable plastic insert to create different "CV" numbers for same valve body.

So, with a "Cv" of 3.5.... for every multiple of 3.5 GPM I have through the valve i get a 2 PSI across that particular valve?
I have a March 809HS pump, and off the top of my head Im not sure how much pressure drop I can take...

Found: http://www.cheresources.com/valvezz.shtml ..... need to do my homework :)

kladue... do you have a recommendation on a model number for those Belimo ball valves?

I scored 5 brand new 1/2" full-port ASCO solenoid valves (110VAC slow-closing) on eBay for $125. They are hot water/steam valves that will work very well when my system is complete, assuming..... The documentation says they need 5psi of liquid pressure to open, so I am afraid I am going to have to do some spring alterations internally to get them open if the March pumps won't generate enough pressure. That is something else to consider when looking for valves.
Now if I could find someone who wants a 5/8" x 50' whirlpool chiller that I have, I could swing the CFC I want and start construction on this project.

As to the capability of the march 809 hs pump, 10.5 feet head at 2 gpm should be expected. System design with 3.5 cv valve at 2 gpm would give about 2.6 foot pressure drop leaving about 8 feet pressure drop budget for rest of fluid path. Things like inlet screens, mash depth and grind will have a major influence on final performance, sometimes you have to go to a coarser crush to get flows that you want, and a 10 minute 130 degree protien rest for large wheat beers. The belimo valves to look for are the 207 - 211 series 1/2" sized ball valves with 2 position or floating control actuators that normally are 24V ac powered. Go to the belimo usa site and look under the CCV series control valves for additional information, the valve number variations are related to CV numbers, which can be changed by swapping or removing the plastic flow control inserts.

Kladue,

Just curious are you using proportional or floating, and spring return or fail in place?

All of the belimo valves in the phase 2 system are proportional 0-10VDC control input, 24vdc supply. The voltage control signal is from opto 22 0-10V output modules controlled by an application writen in Java. System has been up and operating but the 24VDC supply has died and put PID loop software testing on hold until another power supply is installed.

Well that's a bummer, it is hard to come by quality transformers on the cheap. Are you outputting 0 vdc/off during NC operation in your program? Since you would seem to be the one with advanced knowledge in this area, can you write a simple program to use the digital signal provided by Opto AD modules without an attached brain and/or proprietary Opto software a la Factory Floor?

Thanks

With the old generation G1 modules the software packages do not work without a brain module. I had to create an IO software routine in java that allows the system to reset, configure, and read/write each of the points in the background. If one were to write the program code in VB or C++ examples are shown in the optomux protocol PDF and the factory communication driver works well with the older generation hardware.

Back