Electric keggle system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboyfan

Reaction score
I’m going to build a better system for better control brewing. I’m wanting to use my keggle and continue BIAB, I bought a pump and inkbird pid but wondering if rims tube is way to go or install element and temp probe in keggle? Also for guys that use keggle what is best solution for false bottom?

I recently decided to go ebiab in my existing bk. I opted to go with a stainless mesh basket for my rig so that I don't deal with the bad scorching on the elements. If you have an element in the kettle already a rims tube seems redundant imo.
20200109_140933.jpeg
20200109_110832.jpeg
1578269105188.jpeg

Nice setup, I haven’t seen the keg upside down. Good idea for exit port, I don’t have any elements yet. Can go either way, wondering pluses and minus of each and which way to go

The only downside to electric is what is available where you brew. I knew while building that finding 220 was gonna be hit or miss as a renter, and that the panel for 220 was expensive. So with 2 elements I can run one on a $120 ink bird controller and just turn the other one on and off manually. The elements ran bout $25 each.

The only downside to electric is what is available where you brew. I knew while building that finding 220 was gonna be hit or miss as a renter, and that the panel for 220 was expensive. So with 2 elements I can run one on a $120 ink bird controller and just turn the other one on and off manually. The elements ran bout $25 each.

i was planning on using the one element with inkbird but using 2 like you have would be option. How long does it take to bring temp to mash and then boil, do you like all electric vs propane? I will be brewing in garage so propane isn’t a problem. Does elements and temp probe in kettle work good, no temperature fluctuations?

With a total of 3650 watts I can heat up fairly quick. It's about a half hour from 65 to 150 degrees. For me there isn't really anything I don't like about electric. No gas, no carbon monoxide, not as much heat coming off the rig, and if i want to heat my water the night before and let it maintain that temp until l am ready to brew the next day I can without worry. With 120 instead of 220 I can take my brew rig almost anywhere to brew.

I recently decided to go ebiab in my existing bk. I opted to go with a stainless mesh basket for my rig so that I don't deal with the bad scorching on the elements. If you have an element in the kettle already a rims tube seems redundant imo.View attachment 661383View attachment 661384View attachment 661385

I see you have Reflectix insulation around your kettle. Do you keep it on during the boil? I see the rating is shown as +180 Deg. F. I currently use an old sleeping bag but would like a cleaner look. Was hoping to use this product.

I see you have Reflectix insulation around your kettle. Do you keep it on during the boil? I see the rating is shown as +180 Deg. F. I currently use an old sleeping bag but would like a cleaner look. Was hoping to use this product.
Yes it is on the whole time. When I use my 3v set up all 3 vessels have reflectix jackets. I wouldn't worry about it unless using an open flame for you heat source. If that were the case I would remove it when the flame was on.

Yes it is on the whole time. When I use my 3v set up all 3 vessels have reflectix jackets. I wouldn't worry about it unless using an open flame for you heat source. If that were the case I would remove it when the flame was on.
Thanks much for the reply. Been using my system for about 5 years and recently made some minor tweaks to take care of issues. The sleeping bag works but the reflectix would clean it up. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back