Electric Heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malonja

Reaction score
I'm ready to give up the propane burner as the source of heat and would really like to incorporate electric elements. I've read sparingly about HERMS systems but can't find much about making the conversion. I currently have a 3 kettle (Sabco kegs) system and am using propane burners on all three.

If anyone could pass along information or links to information on making the switch to electric...I would really appreciate it. thanks

The conversion to electric on all three kettles is going to cost more than the propane to run your existing setup?:eek:

Yuri_Rage said:
It'd be interesting to use an immersion heater on a temperature controller for your hot liquor tank. A big enough one would be PRICY though. I think McMaster-Carr has some.

In planning my AG setup, I was thinking this exact thing. I would imagine this would be much easier than trying to keep the temp within +/- 1 degrees with propane. Although, it may be best with propane to get up to temp, then electric immersion to keep it stable.

As for the MT and boiler, I'll be using propane. Curious on others feelings on this as well.

smogman said:
The conversion to electric on all three kettles is going to cost more than the propane to run your existing setup?:eek:

propane-electricity.png

Do a search for heat stick. Having 220 wired up in your brewing area seems to be a sticking point for me.
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=heat+stick+brew"]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=heat+stick+brew[/ame]

JoeRags said:
In planning my AG setup, I was thinking this exact thing. I would imagine this would be much easier than trying to keep the temp within +/- 1 degrees with propane. Although, it may be best with propane to get up to temp, then electric immersion to keep it stable.

As for the MT and boiler, I'll be using propane. Curious on others feelings on this as well.

Tell me what you guys think about the prospects of it working. Using electric heat elements to heat both my HLT and Boiler. This would be either through heatsticks or fixed (threaded) elements. Then, using a wort chiller as a heat exchanger within my HLT to maintain the temp within my MT. I guess it would be a psuedo RIMS system....pumping out of the bottom of my MT, into the heat exchanger (coils in my HLT at a higher temp) and back into the top of my MT.

thoughts?

I wouldnt use electric for the boiler... It will use lots of power, take a long time, and not positive here... (as I'm a newB to this as well) but I believe you run the risk of scorching your wort with an electric element.

Anyone else?

I use all natural gas in my HERMS system. I manually control everything for now, but I'm about to add a furnace valve, pilot/ignition system, and a temperature controller. I prefer gas (propane or natural) for brewing.

I use an all electric system. I can boil up to 13 gallons using two 2500 watt low density type corrosion resistant nickel allow elements. Gets up to a boil quickly.

Back