Electric Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
the big questions is the amperage on your breakers. you might consider a dual element 120v system and plugging into outlets on different circuits.

That's probably just about OK for 20 litres or so. Maybe try it, and if it is too slow add a second.

I'm getting fed up with gas, so was thinking of going for an electric solution. I only do 5 gal batches, and I have my eye on a 30l pot. There is a 2200w element for sale on our local auction site. Would this be powerful enough to boil wort at this volume? I know next to nothing on the electric side of things.

Here's a link to it:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=566750442

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=566750442

The links you are looking at end in NZ. You are in New Zealand or Australia? If so then your power is 230V and a 2200 element only draws 9.6 Amps.

But back to your question - 2200 watts will bring 30 liters to boil but it may take a while. You can partly cover your pot to speed up time to boil.

Thanks all. Yes, I'm in New Zealand. I'm looking at installing this into a 30l kettle. It's hard to get decent gas burners over here without spending a fortune, and as I "cook up" in my garage I am worried about fumes from gas as I don't have decent ventilation.

Yes, intoxications with gas fumes are nasty. I had one last year before I moved electric. 7 days of UNSTOPPABLE headache, weakness.. crazy

Moving electric is something you will never regret, although 2200W is a bit low for a 20+ liter boil. It will work, but be patient. Also, I wonder if they are Low Watt Density elements because of their length (30 cm) if they are HWD they may scorch the wort but again, they are listed as "brewers heating elements" so I guess they tested it.

Personally, I would go with a 4500 W element. This way you will be sure you won't have to upgrade later if the slow boil bothers you. Also, you would not have to redesign your electric system in that case.

Just my 2 cents !

Cheers !

Come to think to it, 95$ is A LOT for a heating element. Got my 4500 W LWD here at the local hardware store for around 20$. Works like a charm.

Try to find a water heater element at your hardware store. Go for the longest one that fits the pot.

Sorry for the double post, but I had to say it !

Cheers !

Back