Electric brewing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerrangedPOJO

Reaction score
This is to those who brew with heating elements. If i am brewing 14 gallons what size element do i need? Also how long does it take to bring to a boil? Trying to stay indoors so i do not have to move to the open elements. I am just trying to maximize my efficiency with electric without having to move to propane. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
PJ

What voltage are you rubbing? What amp circuit?

I wouldn't go less than 4500 watts. Personally I use 5500w and love it. I can't remember how long it took to reach boil but I know it was definitely faster than propane.

I brew in a keggle. My 5500w is on 220v and draws about 23 amps when running. If you have the amperage avail I'd go 5500. I have no probs doing 5 or 10 gallon batches. Just be sure to mount it low enough so it's still covered with a 5 gallon batch.

Happy brewing.

4500 or greater would be idea. I have 5500W elements in my pots, and I can get 10 gallons boiling from room temperature in about 40 minutes. From mash temps, it's closer to 15 minutes (see graph). I graphed this with a 10g batch in a sanke keg, uninsulated. Outdoor temp was about 60F.

electric_boil_test-38779.jpg

Thanks for the info. My calculations of turning btu into watts gave me 5367. So figured 5500 wld do it. I can put a 30amp breaker n my box n run higher volts.

Im converting a keggle do I maker a heat stock our drill n attach? Or should I weld n place near the bottom?
Thanks for both of ur n puts!

If I had a keggle I would get one of these and silver solder it on. I have an aluminum pot so I have my element attached with a weldless setup as close to the bottom as I could get it.

Brew hardware now has a solder on tri-clover adaptor too. That's the way I'm leaning for my electric build. Just need a little more money.

3800 watt element at 100% power boils 14 gallons perfectly in a converted keg for me...no control needed.

4500 or greater would be idea. I have 5500W elements in my pots, and I can get 10 gallons boiling from room temperature in about 40 minutes. From mash temps, it's closer to 15 minutes (see graph). I graphed this with a 10g batch in a sanke keg, uninsulated. Outdoor temp was about 60F.

electric_boil_test-38779.jpg

That is so cool. I love the graph!

I have a 4500 w element in mine, and I usually start with 12 gallons of wort. Since I mash out, the wort entering the keg is at 168 and it still takes a while to get to boiling for me. Still, it works quite well for me. If I was starting with 14 gallons, I'd want a 5500 w element.

I have a 5500w element in my HLT, and it ramps temps nicely for the HERMS.

Back