Electric brewing basement exhaust shared with radon pipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batata

Reaction score
Hello!

I am setting up an electric brewing system in my unfinished basement. I currently have a radon mitigation system which goes from under the basement and pushes air out from the roof of my house.

This is a 6in pvc pipe that goes from under the basement all the way up to the roof. There is an inline radon fan in the attic to move the air out.

I am thinking about tapping into that pipe at the basement above my brewing area to exhaust steam. I would add another fan and just use the pathway from basement to roof for the steam.

I would also make sure that when not in use, there is a closed position that does not interfere with the radon fan operation.

Does anyone see any issues with this? I don't want it to interfere with the radon system, but it seems like it is just a pathway of air to the outside and more air going through it should be ok?

Thanks!!

Hmmm. Interesting idea. Only thing I would make sure of is that the fans are rated for wet location. If you find that radon mitigation is actually a real thing let us know.

The question that should be asked is by messing with it will it void the warranty? If so is it worth it?

I found this image. I'd say that this is a bad idea.

EPA%20Radon%20Vent%20Pipe%20Sticker_DRAFT%20VERSION.jpg

I too think this is a bad idea. One it potentially will allow radon (if you have it under your house) into the basement. And if you did end up suffering from cancer that could be caused by radon and the insurance found out that you messed with the system I would bet that they would fight a payout.

I personally wouldn't have any qualms tapping into it. If the pipe is close to your brewing area, it would be an easy connection. A better alternative is to use a dryer vent though. A long stack will have more condensation which will flow down to the foundation. There may be some risks there.

I'm a strong believer that household radon exposure is a very, very low risk factor and that mitigation systems are pushed by contractors to earn a buck.

No states require home radon testing and I doubt anything other than the electrical supply is covered by building codes. Thus, an inspector might point it out, but you'd be under no obligation to remedy unless it was part of the sales contract. Some states require disclosure of known high radon levels.

Additional, single source reading if interested.
http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

IMHO don't mess with anything to do with the Radon mitigation system. Even if the pipe and fan could/would work with steam, you're risking now getting Radon into the house through your brewing setup since you've cut into the pipe.

Kal

Radon is a big concern - reason 1 not to do it. A long vertical pipe like that is a perfect place for condenstaion, especially when you're pumping in hot moist air. Then the condensation drips down under your slab or who knows where and collects, leading to any number of potentially bad situations. Exhaust pipes dealing with steam almost always take the shortest route possible to the exterior - get the moist air out before condensation becomes a big issue. Moisture - reason 2 not to do it.

I would not try this.

Back