Electric Brewery Next Steps - Two Water based questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
First of all,

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far and provided feedback. Really appreciate it!

My design is almost done, and I will post drawings soon.

I do have questions around water and cooling that I would love some feedback on.

As a note, I am looking to have the system almost fully automated and will be using an Allen-Bradley PLC to control the entire process. Two things that I would like to do and could use some advice on:

1. I would like to utilize the PLC to control water quantity into the system for strike/mash ins and sparging. I will plumb as needed. However, is there any recommendations on the types of control equipment needed to accurately control water quantities? I assume the PLC will be able to read and control some type of gauge and valve system

2. I live in Minnesota and am thinking of using a counter flow chiller versus my HERMS heat exchanger with ice water (in the HLT). Our ground water stays fairly cool year round. Any thoughts on this? Would I be better off using the HLT with water and ice, or would you think the ground water temp would be sufficient given living in Minnesota.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Broc

:mug:

Welcome to the madness of automation. :D While I'm no expert there are a few ways you might go for water volume. Brewtroller is working with pressure sensors to determine volume in a kettle. Others use flowmeters/ time. Another way would be to use float switches to stop flow at predetermined amounts. As for the second question, if you are planning to brew only ales then your tap water should suffice. If you want to try lagering, you might need to go with the HERMS ice bath.

Back