electric and wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
I am going to brew another hefeweizen this weekend. I have brewed the same recipe a couple of times on propane but since going electric the beer has had a off flavor. During the boil there was a grayish colored foam.

Is this a reaction from the wheat and the element? I have read that.the two don't play well together.

Any advice, should I filter it first?

I've been trying to do some research on this the past two days and cannot find anything the correlates wheat and an element to off flavors. Care to share where you have read some of this stuff? I am curious as I am about to move to a all electric system.

I have read a couple of articles where people were havi n g issues with burning the wort. I didn't have that. I haven't had any other issues since going to electric. I will post the results after I brew this Saturday.

FWIW, I've brewed dozens of wits and Hefe's with 60% wheat on my electric setup. Zero issues.

I don't understand how what you have in the mash to convert starch to sugars would have any effect in the boil kettle. Once in the boil kettle, wort is wort.

Kal

FWIW, I've brewed dozens of wits and Hefe's with 60% wheat on my electric setup. Zero issues.

I don't understand how what you have in the mash to convert starch to sugars would have any effect in the boil kettle. Once in the boil kettle, wort is wort.

Kal

This was exactly my thinking and why I asked for more info as to what he has read about electric and wheat.

Like the others here, I've never had off-flavors or the greyish colored foam that the OP speaks of. One thing I have noticed is that the element has more of a film on it after brewing with wheat or rye than with other grains. I don't know if it's from a higher protein content or something else, but a quick scrub with a Scotch-Bite pad removes it. And that not cleaning this off will increase your chance of scorching somewhere down the road.

I am not sure why I had the grey foam and off flavor. The scorching on the element is what I have read about. Maybe I didn't do a good job cleaning it up. I am brewing on Saturday and will post the results

So it did it again. Right at the beginning of the boil. This time I skimmed it all off and it was fine the rest of the time. Any ideas? Am I milling it too fine?
i-H43ZgvZ-L.jpg

Latest posts

Back