ELEC BREWERY FOR WHEELCHAIR BREWER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is wheelchair bound has asked me to help him build an electric (probably HERMS, maybe BIAB) brewery.

Now I've built a LOT of HERMS breweries but I have never seen any info on a design aimed at wheelchair brewers. Vessels basically need to be basically floor level. Think that the height of vessel from floor needs to be about 70cm max.

Does anyone have any info or pics or anything else on this subject?

Appreciate any help.

It seems to me that it would be quite easy, especially if electric. Just have them low instead of on a table. Maybe add a tippy dump on the mash tun.

I'm thinking just on a concrete (maybe plywood over it for insulation) floor. Shop vacs work great for grain as I doubt dealing with a tippy dump in a chair would be much fun. A bottom drain mash tun (would require a few inches off the floor would help dry the grain to make it easier to deal with. I've also been thinking of putting a blower inline with a 2" triclamp tee that one could use connect a hair dryer/heat gun to blow air up into the grain bed to dry it after the brew day is over.

The pump will be the trickiest issue. Might be worth looking into a style that doesn’t require priming. If not, it might actually be better to use bottom drain kettles and elevate them slightly. This would help make cleaning much easier too.

Have to keep in mind it is difficult to reach the floor from a chair too.

I use the 24v versions of these and for a couple years I would just use camlocks attached directly to them , attached directly to the ball valves at the bottom of the kettles which worked fine to prime them. Just an option. For BIAB it the mesh doesnt let a lot of grain through these will work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G305PK0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

you could get fancy and put the brewing platform on a harbor freight motorcycle jack to raise and lower the whole thing for different stages.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much do they want to brew? Why not just go for a Grainfather with a hoist for the grain basket?

Back