Elderflower cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy_t

Reaction score
I decided to keep the economy afloat at the weekend by tasting different ciders at my local pub to see what kinds of strange and beautiful flavours work well, and I stumbled upon an Elderflower and Lime one which was really nice. My next brew was going to be 5G of cider so I thought I might have a crack at doing my own version of it and save £4 a bottle!! :(

Has anyone had any luck making one before? How much elderflower/lime would you add?

I was considering:

4.5G apple juice
1KG Elderflowers (steeped with lime juice in ~2L water for about 30 minutes)
100ml lime juice
500g honey
*some* sugar to backsweeten dependent on taste tests!

As a novice at this game, I'm not sure this would give enough flavour? I like my ciders sweet (almost Kopparberg-esque) and would really like to get the taste and the perfume of the elderflower, but not really get a kick in the throat from the lime. Any thoughts on how I could improve this recipe?

As always, thanks in advance for your expertise!

I......have no idea, lol. I don't think the fruit-bearing species of elder is common here in the states. when i was in germany my host brother drank elderberry juice all the time.

Back